Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RO 5" Sander - Reason to spend $300+ VS $60 ??

I've used both, but I can say that there really is no comparison between the 2.

First, step up to a 6" that will instantly make you sand faster...after that it's like driving a toyota vs a Mercedes. Yes they both work, (really it's the paper that does most of the work) but how does it feel....how consistent is it etc. I use a Festool and have no intentions of going backwards (unless another great product comes along) it's not cheap but it does the job great. And PLEASE don't discount dust extraction. You really should try to capture as much as possible, even if you're working outdoors or on jobsites....not only will your sanding consistency improve but your health will potentially benefit. You can't see the stuff that hurts, and even the Festool or Mirka products out there don't get everything they just get more. Even if going into the little bag instead of an extractor. Also, don't bother buying it for that reason and then using a $50 shop vac with regular filter....it's still going to send most of the harmful stuff out. Doesn't mean you have to buy a fancy one (although there are great models out there) but at least buy a hepa filter for the one you have. Good luck.

Honestly, I do not glue up my panels. They are held together with internal battens. I do sometimes have gaps maxing at shy 1/8" in places. BUT, that is more than adequate for my market needs and reflected in my pricing. Most of my sales are used within a week or two of production... in the ground "Six feet Under"
    I pre sand my individual 1x6 boards quickly,micro beveling just breaking over the edges, then upside down on bench apply battens, assemble the 4 sides, then final sand before trim pieces.

Marc

Battens.jpg
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

At this point in my life, 64 yr old w some health issues, I want to share something with you Folks.
    The crowd that frequents this site is worthy in my humble opinion.
    I have never put this out before, but I find it difficult to supply this product even just my local area.
    This is a REALLY viable thing for you retired Guys to really easily increase your real monthly income.
    Also, a great biz concept for younger guys to run with and build, but it's the Retired with a shop that need a little bump in income to make their life easier AND more meaningful that I would like to help.
    If I would have had this niche idea 15 or more years ago, I could have EASILY made it a very good income producer...But I no longer have the stamina, desire, physical ability that I once had to do so.
    I have been doing this like 3 years since the concept was given to me.
    All you guys that make cutting boards, lawn ornaments, etc may want to look at this.
    NO traveling to shows or anything like that.
    Main point - The demand IS there. They come to you. This is the first time I have said this online, never before.I am willing to share about it "Open Source" This is a niche idea that can work for MANY of you out there. SO simple to sell, they seek out and come to you, people WANT it and you make decent $.
    My offer of help is NOT just for some jerk to make $, this HELPS Family during a time of need.
    The point of it is first - To offer a "simple" alternative, and then from that, as a result of helping Others, you make money.

Do with this post as you wish, contact me if you are a Retiree w serious interest.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

My offer to share further info is not open to anyone in the Eastern half of TX and Western half of LA, or anyone that wants to start a price war.
    Only decent ethical People.

Marc

You need a festoon. So you can have green boxes in the background of your photos. The more boxes, the better

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    Honestly, I do not glue up my panels.

Battens.jpg
    If this is what you’re looking to sand quickly , I’d forget the rotex sanders entirely. Sell it and get the Festool ets150/5 EC.
    The /5 orbit will give you a more aggressive cut than a typical finish sander and the 6” disc will cover a lot of panel quickly. It will be lighter , more controllable and have less noise and vibration than a rotex. If you also need to sand the inside / between those battens then you’ll need another sander. The festool rts400 would be pretty close to ideal for all those inside corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    At this point in my life, 64 yr old w some health issues, I want to share something with you Folks.
    The crowd that frequents this site is worthy in my humble opinion.
    I have never put this out before, but I find it difficult to supply this product even just my local area.
    This is a REALLY viable thing for you retired Guys to really easily increase your real monthly income.
    Also, a great biz concept for younger guys to run with and build, but it's the Retired with a shop that need a little bump in income to make their life easier AND more meaningful that I would like to help.
    If I would have had this niche idea 15 or more years ago, I could have EASILY made it a very good income producer...But I no longer have the stamina, desire, physical ability that I once had to do so.
    I have been doing this like 3 years since the concept was given to me.
    All you guys that make cutting boards, lawn ornaments, etc may want to look at this.
    NO traveling to shows or anything like that.
    Main point - The demand IS there. They come to you. This is the first time I have said this online, never before.I am willing to share about it "Open Source" This is a niche idea that can work for MANY of you out there. SO simple to sell, they seek out and come to you, people WANT it and you make decent $.
    My offer of help is NOT just for some jerk to make $, this HELPS Family during a time of need.
    The point of it is first - To offer a "simple" alternative, and then from that, as a result of helping Others, you make money.

Do with this post as you wish, contact me if you are a Retiree w serious interest.

Marc
    That is a great concept, Marc. People (who don't settle for a shroud) need coffins, and from what little I have seen funeral directors offer either particleboard crates or a line of finished casework designed to shame the grieving buyers into spending as much as possible on a display before the dirt is shoveled over. A simple, affordable natural wood box is a good alternative for many people and I applaud you for making such a product.

There are a few small time coffin makers around here. One guy designs his so that they can be bought before need and used as a bookcase in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    George , your comment about sandpaper is on point. However the rest of it makes it seem as if you didn’t read this thread -and- clearly have no clue or experience with the Bosch sander in question.

First, these dual (rotex) sanders aren’t bought for “comfort” and “feel”. They just aren’t that kind of sander.

Two, the Bosch version has 90-95% of the performance , capability , collection , ect…. of the Festool. Yet cost 1/3 the price.
    How so? I pointed out the festool/mirka feel more comfortable in the hand and have better internals leading to a longer life. He asked if it would speed up sanding and I replied I havent read anything about whether that would happen but if he want to make it faster a rotex or similar would speed up sanding. I grew up using bosch sanders My father always had them. They worked just fine. But when I stepped into the Festool ETS EC 150 and later a Mirka deros I found them to be alot more comfortable. Less vibration, better hand position so less cramping. DC is also better but he said he didnt care about that.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    How so? I pointed out the festool/mirka feel more comfortable in the hand and have better internals leading to a longer life. He asked if it would speed up sanding and I replied I havent read anything about whether that would happen but if he want to make it faster a rotex or similar would speed up sanding. I grew up using bosch sanders My father always had them. They worked just fine. But when I stepped into the Festool ETS EC 150 and later a Mirka deros I found them to be alot more comfortable. Less vibration, better hand position so less cramping. DC is also better but he said he didnt care about that.

Well, let's see George -

1. Marc already has a Festool ROTEX . He doesn't need to get his hands on one. So recommending he get one to speed things up is, well.........
    2. Have you actually used a Bosch GET sander ? Seriously doubt it becasue it "feels' nearly identical to a rotex. And NO ONE sings the praises of these sanders as comfortable. Either brand !
    3. Festool makes good kit, but its an urban legend that they are somehow vastly superior internally to other euro makes . Bosch makes a variety of sanders at several price levels. Their offerings now are much superior to what you had as a boy. n.b. Mirka has had all kind of trouble with their sanders lately. Especially when they debuted with the separate power module. And, supposing we buy your premise , one would have to be at least 3x as good to warrant the upfront price difference.
    4. Unless you have any data to support Festool lasting longer than an equivelant Bosch sander , you are just regurgitating popular sentiment. At best you might find ancedotal evidence to support the sentiment, but that's still not real data.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 02-04-2022 at 1:46 PM.

they are all water pistols, id get a stroke sander.

They make machines for sanding, if you want to make a living it makes sense to you real fast. No mystery every trained cabinetmaker had one.

I would like to buy a sander with a 5mm stroke and the motor above the pad. But it looks like Festool is the only option and I haven't decided to pay that much, at least so far. My Bosch DEVS 1250 (and it's successor) have 5mm strokes but the motor is off to the side like the Rotex. That makes it a bit harder to control, especially one handed. But after experiencing the speed of a 5mm sander I am quite reluctant to go back to the slow 3mm. So I manage with my 1250. My eyes are admittedly not as good as they once were but I see no disadvantage in the results with the 5mm sander. Looks just as good as with a 3mm.

Blog Entries
    Mirka pneumatic paddle sander... mmmm..

The rest.. seems to me they wish they were pneumatic Mirkas.