Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RO 5" Sander - Reason to spend $300+ VS $60 ??

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I decided to drink the green kool-aid and bought the Festool Rotex 125. It's supposed to be a good dual purpose agggressive and finish sander.

IMO, it doesn't excel at either. It's a bit better using the agressive setting. But in fine sanding mode, it jumps all over. There are forum posts of the problem that suggest holding it in different ways. It helps a little, but it's still not great. I'm afraid to use it as a finish sander, because the jumping mars the wood.

I feel that I'm stuck with it because I paid so much.
    Techniqe when sanding is everything. Dont ignore yourself being a major part of the problem

I've been using the same Dewalt 5" ROS for about 20 years. I've changed the pad a couple of times. I have a couple Bosch ones and a Festool 6", too. But the Dewalt is always at hand and easy to use. The Festool has a very aggressive sanding pattern or fine, but it's too big and unwieldy for most projects, so it stays away. I had an air sander, but the compressor was always filling the 60 gal tank, so I sold it.

The key I found is to get the dust off the surface immediately. I have had a vac attached for about 15 years. About 10 years ago I figured out that if the vac hose is attached via bungee to the ceiling above my bench (about 3' above my head, it works great. I have the hose attached to a Dust Deputy that feeds into a tall/narrow 30 gal drum, for easy cleaning. I switch out the hoses between my sander hose, Miter saw hose, router table hose and 20' hose.

I now use the Diablo abranet type pads, as there's better dust collection than with just the holes. The other thing that helps significantly is the Rockler Dust Right connectors to switch out tools.

I would be interested in a Deros; however, I can't justify $500 more than what a decent 5" ROS costs. Especially, considering how many reported issues I've heard over the last few years. If it had a 5 year warrantee, then maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I decided to drink the green kool-aid and bought the Festool Rotex 125. It's supposed to be a good dual purpose agggressive and finish sander.

IMO, it doesn't excel at either. It's a bit better using the agressive setting. But in fine sanding mode, it jumps all over. There are forum posts of the problem that suggest holding it in different ways. It helps a little, but it's still not great. I'm afraid to use it as a finish sander, because the jumping mars the wood.
    I feel that I'm stuck with it because I paid so much.
    You've discovered (the hard way) the age old conundrum with dual purpose tools. They rarely do anything well.

In this instance I think you're a bit off in the Rotex's ability to aggressively / quickly remove material. I (and many others) think it's a very good at heavy removal. It replaces a belt sander for many. Now, you may not like the two handed ergonomics of getting it to work properly, but that doesn't make it a bad tool. A belt sander is a two handed operation too. As a "fine" or "finish" sander........most agree - it's a turkey. No one wants, expects or trains to finish sand with two hands on the tool.

The good news is you're not stuck with it. If you purchased within the last 30 days - return it for a full refund. No questions asked. If not, they are in short supply these days, so you should should have no trouble finding it a new home and be able to recoup most (if not all) of your $$$ on the secondary market.

Depending on your true needs, I'd suggest getting a Bosch GET75 for the heavy removal tasks and a Festool ETS125 for finish duty. You'll save 50 bucks over the rotex125 and have two sanders, better suited and dedicated for their task. If you are really set on one sander only - the festool ets125 EC is a better all-rounder for the majority of people. It still has drawbacks - principally it's not great for heavy stock removal. The ets150 EC /5 is better suited for rougher grits , but gives up usability in the finer finish grits.

Clifford

Do you have adjustable suction on your vacuum? I have a RO125 also (and a MIDI extractor) and found that turning the suction almost to the lowest setting really helps with the jumping. I was confused at first using the rotex with that happening until I looked it up and read to turn down the suction.

It ain’t a finish sander that’s for sure. I also have an ETS 125 and ETS / EC 150/3 . The 150 is my preferred sander for 150 grit and up and I use the rotex for 120 grit and below, but the 150 is 10x more comfortable with the wide and low center of gravity...not as fast the the rotex, though.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 01-28-2022 at 8:30 PM.
    Still waters run deep.

I picked up the 6" Bosch GET75 a few months ago, and several boxes of mesh paper. I probably have a few hours use on it by now. It's a very nice sander. Dust collection is very good. Vibration is mild, almost nonexistent in the less aggressive mode. It is a beast to hold onto in the turbo mode, but it comes with a handle to help control it. In the non-turbo mode, I think it does a great job with finish work. The finest grit paper I bought was 150 (thinking it would only be used for aggressive sanding jobs), and even with that paper, I think it does great. A couple fallow up passes with my 5" and 180/220, I'm ready to spray some finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Clifford

Do you have adjustable suction on your vacuum? I have a RO125 also (and a MIDI extractor) and found that turning the suction almost to the lowest setting really helps with the jumping. I was confused at first using the rotex with that happening until I looked it up and read to turn down the suction.

It ain’t a finish sander that’s for sure. I also have an ETS 125 and ETS / EC 150/3 . The 150 is my preferred sander for 150 grit and up and I use the rotex for 120 grit and below, but the 150 is 10x more comfortable with the wide and low center of gravity...not as fast the the rotex, though.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Phillip. I played around with the adjustible suction on the vac last night. And the hose has the collar to adjust suction. It does help some. Definitley less suction means less jumping around. I still probably wouldn't make it my go-to sander for finishing.

I was hoping to find one do-it-all sander. Especially for the price I paid for the Festool. Oh, well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    You've discovered (the hard way) the age old conundrum with dual purpose tools. They rarely do anything well.

In this instance I think you're a bit off in the Rotex's ability to aggressively / quickly remove material. I (and many others) think it's a very good at heavy removal. It replaces a belt sander for many. Now, you may not like the two handed ergonomics of getting it to work properly, but that doesn't make it a bad tool. A belt sander is a two handed operation too. As a "fine" or "finish" sander........most agree - it's a turkey. No one wants, expects or trains to finish sand with two hands on the tool.

The good news is you're not stuck with it. If you purchased within the last 30 days - return it for a full refund. No questions asked. If not, they are in short supply these days, so you should should have no trouble finding it a new home and be able to recoup most (if not all) of your $$$ on the secondary market.

Depending on your true needs, I'd suggest getting a Bosch GET75 for the heavy removal tasks and a Festool ETS125 for finish duty. You'll save 50 bucks over the rotex125 and have two sanders, better suited and dedicated for their task. If you are really set on one sander only - the festool ets125 EC is a better all-rounder for the majority of people. It still has drawbacks - principally it's not great for heavy stock removal. The ets150 EC /5 is better suited for rougher grits , but gives up usability in the finer finish grits.
    Hi Dave, It's been more than 30 days. I bought it, hmmmm, maybe 15 months ago? I was hoping for a Bosch, but after having the shipping date pushed out so many ties, I broke down and bought the Rotex.

BTW, I think the Rotex does pretty good at aggressive removal. It's the fine sanding part that I'm having problems with.

Sorry you were disappointed.

You weren’t the first and won’t be the last person who though they were just gonna get a rotex and it was going to be their do everything be all sander. I’d sell it and buy the Bosch GET sander for rough tasks and get a Festool ets125 for finish work.

You need to find someone local that has a festool or mirka sander and ask to try it for a few minutes. Comfort and feel alone may make you switch. Aside from that longevity of the festool/mirka will be greater than the bosch maybe not 10x greater but much greater. Actual sanding speed I dont know that I have read any data on that though the Rotex is always an option if you are looking to speed things up on rougher boards.

Paper is the more important decision. I believe good paper will make sanding quicker and more enjoyable than changing the cheep stuff every 30 seconds

You need to find someone local that has a festool or mirka sander and ask to try it for a few minutes. Comfort and feel alone may make you switch. Aside from that longevity of the festool/mirka will be greater than the bosch maybe not 10x greater but much greater. Actual sanding speed I dont know that I have read any data on that though the Rotex is always an option if you are looking to speed things up on rougher boards.
    George , your comment about sandpaper is on point. However the rest of it makes it seem as if you didn’t read this thread -and- clearly have no clue or experience with the Bosch sander in question.

First, these dual (rotex) sanders aren’t bought for “comfort” and “feel”. They just aren’t that kind of sander.

Two, the Bosch version has 90-95% of the performance , capability , collection , ect…. of the Festool. Yet cost 1/3 the price.

Has anyone bought one of these Mirka Deros clones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlJaS-iiL10

All the ones that I can find are 240 volt.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Bandirola View Post
    Has anyone bought one of these Mirka Deros clones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlJaS-iiL10

All the ones that I can find are 240 volt.
    Don’t think they are available on 110v.

A few commented about how even a little sanding dust between the wood and sanding disc can slow the process. Makes sense of course, but I never really thought about it.
    Actually, I have been using decent disks, but, incorrect hole pattern ones.That's what cheap old guys do when they get a few hundred free.
    I saw a few of you roll your eyes there !!

I never saw much dust there, but I'm sure the less the better.

I will stay w the Bosch sander for now, and be ordering the correct disks, and expect to see even better dust pickup, and probably also the faster stock removal I was looking for.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Prashun - Pretty much all I make is the below using local lumber yard bought SYP 1x6 s4s at usually around 12- 16% MC.

Casket Blue pedestal.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]473026[/ATTACH)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 02-03-2022 at 1:43 AM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

You want to save time, you want to know which brand of water pistol to bring to a gun fight

Are you a guy working in his garage or are you a shop.
    You are buying s4s, is there further machining that is joint plane re glue the panel?
    Do you have uneven edges after glue up that have to be flushed or are the panels going through a planer after glue up, that is you sanding a surface coming off a planer
    what is the sanding process start at this grit go to this grit or just one grit?
    are the panels also sanded in the inside or covered by the material
    what is your total sanding time that is all the panel sanding and how long is spent on panels on what is shown
    how many are you making a week

Before I had machines I would have done that with my rockwell belt sander then the Rockwell half sheet vibrator with a harder base pad. Starting that way paid for machines.