I've been using the same Dewalt 5" ROS for about 20 years. I've changed the pad a couple of times. I have a couple Bosch ones and a Festool 6", too. But the Dewalt is always at hand and easy to use. The Festool has a very aggressive sanding pattern or fine, but it's too big and unwieldy for most projects, so it stays away. I had an air sander, but the compressor was always filling the 60 gal tank, so I sold it.

The key I found is to get the dust off the surface immediately. I have had a vac attached for about 15 years. About 10 years ago I figured out that if the vac hose is attached via bungee to the ceiling above my bench (about 3' above my head, it works great. I have the hose attached to a Dust Deputy that feeds into a tall/narrow 30 gal drum, for easy cleaning. I switch out the hoses between my sander hose, Miter saw hose, router table hose and 20' hose.

I now use the Diablo abranet type pads, as there's better dust collection than with just the holes. The other thing that helps significantly is the Rockler Dust Right connectors to switch out tools.

I would be interested in a Deros; however, I can't justify $500 more than what a decent 5" ROS costs. Especially, considering how many reported issues I've heard over the last few years. If it had a 5 year warrantee, then maybe.