Thread: A Taste of What the Old Days Must Have Been Like

A Taste of What the Old Days Must Have Been Like

I am trimming out my living room with African Mahogany. Picked this material up today.

20220204_142618small.jpg20220204_142605small.jpg

These boards are quartersawn, select and better grade - 4/4, and the narrowest is 16-1/2" wide, with the widest being 19". They are all 15' long (yes I should have taken my trailer but got them home OK).

Maybe this is common in other areas but I was stunned to see these wide boards. Just think what is was like "back in the day".

I will feel guilty ripping these down...
    Regards,

Kris

Wow, that's some nice looking wood. And I feel really bad buying a 12" wide piece of maple to rip down into drawer stock (which was the narrowest I could find in the stock pile), I couldn't imagine getting a 19" board for that.

Back in the day you could regularly get Honduras mahogany that size. In a few more years we will be looking back on today as "back in the day" and glad to get whatever ersatz mahogany is on sale then.

That is beautiful material. Vastly nicer than anything I have ever stapled a red flag to (consisting solely of framing lumber). Enjoy!

Those are almost as long as my shop is wide (16 feet). Nice find.