Thread: grizzly G0838 lathe

grizzly G0838 lathe

Any one in the group have any experience with Grizzly G0838 lathe. Thanks for any input.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nix View Post
    Any one in the group have any experience with Grizzly G0838 lathe. Thanks for any input.
    You might also want to post in the Green Monster Group under community.

3. If it were me, I'd go up a notch or two to a much better lathe, either the 18x47 G0733 or the 22x42 G0766, as they are more substantial machines, and have the weight you need to do more and bigger turnings. To me, the G0838 is a bit light in the frame, and if I were going for a 16" lathe from Grizzly, I would go with the G0632z, which is a clone of the venerable Jet 1642 which has been a work horse staple in the variable speed lathe category for years. I think you'd be much better satisfied in the long term.

It has a beefier spindle, and has proven to be reliable, and you will save a couple hundred bucks in the process. Take a good look, and check the specifications........the G0632z is a better machine!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I’ve been doing some research for a club member who’s working on a limited budget. I have the Jet 1642(Ole reliable) and a AB..

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    If it were me, I'd go up a notch or two to a much better lathe, either the 18x47 G0733 or the 22x42 G0766, as they are more substantial machines, and have the weight you need to do more and bigger turnings. To me, the G0838 is a bit light in the frame, and if I were going for a 16" lathe from Grizzly, I would go with the G0632z, which is a clone of the venerable Jet 1642 which has been a work horse staple in the variable speed lathe category for years. I think you'd be much better satisfied in the long term.

It has a beefier spindle, and has proven to be reliable, and you will save a couple hundred bucks in the process. Take a good look, and check the specifications........the G0632z is a better machine!
    That G0632z looks like a great lathe for the $.

I have this lathe. I had to consider foot print when I was looking. I'm happy with it. It does what I want. The variable speed is much nicer than my old reeves drive. Had to replace the bearings after 3 yrs but easy project. It was dead on centers out of the box. There is an extension available if needed. Also beefy enough for what I do. What do I need a 16 or 22 inch bowl for.