Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Ordered a new iMac 24” w/M1chip

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    JTK, there have been some changes and updates to Finder in the intervening OS versions since your particular release, especially in the more recent ones so as you note, "YMMV". Bruce's machine is M1 processor based and is running Monterey (v12.1 or greater)
    Yep, that is why it felt pertinent to reveal my (much) older version of the OS.

Has the finder become less useful for finding files?

My pet peeve about Apple is all the effort spent trying to make their computers act more like an iPhone instead of making the iPhone act more like a computer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My pet peeve about Apple is all the effort spent trying to make their computers act more like an iPhone instead of making the iPhone act more like a computer.

jtk
    Lol, that was something I quickly noticed as soon as someone sent me a text.
    As I said in my first post, I've been a Windows user from day one. I am starting to get comfortable with Apples Finder file management but it is not as intuitive as I had hoped.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Lol, that was something I quickly noticed as soon as someone sent me a text.
    As I said in my first post, I've been a Windows user from day one. I am starting to get comfortable with Apples Finder file management but it is not as intuitive as I had hoped.
    One of the things that has bothered me every time there is an OS upgrade is having to learn senseless changes to the keyboard commands. Often it is close to accidental that the change is learned.

One example is saving a new file to different folder than the last saved file. It was a few years before reading some thing someone else was saying about using Shift-Command-G to open a window to type in a path to where the file is to be saved. It is more like saving files in DOS than what it was in earlier versions of Mac OS.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Other than for Paste, I never use any kind of keyboard shortcuts...it's all trackpad/rodent. But that's also how I've always used Windows, too. The last time I used keyboard shortcuts to any extent was with PageMaker in the late 1980s.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yep, that is why it felt pertinent to reveal my (much) older version of the OS.

Has the finder become less useful for finding files?

jtk
    I think Apple has sold a lot more iPhones and iPads than they have Macs. I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone ecosystem holds more sway in Cupertino.