Thread: Stanley 71 vs Stanley 71&1/2 Advantages and Disadvantages?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stanley 71 vs Stanley 71&1/2 Advantages and Disadvantages?

Hi All,

I have a Stanley 71, but visited with a very good hand tool wood worker maybe a year or more ago as I watched him work. He was cutting a dado with a Stanley 71&1/2. It had a fence of some kind I think, maybe a clamped on board as I don't remember for sure, and when I first saw him, the dado was about 1/4 inch deep. He would make a pass down the length of the board, removing a fine curl, and then lower the blade a little bit and make another pass. In that way the dado was being formed.

I asked him about the 71&1/2, as I had never seen one in the flesh before. He said that he liked the fully flat bottom for use on narrow stock more than the 71, and said he thought it was easier to use for such.

I was thinking about that, and decided to ask about it, for you that use one. For what it's worth I have a 71, but have yet to use it. (Too tied up with remodeling after our move to the current house, and still don't have a shop or warm place to work yet anyway.)

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the two different router planes, in your experience? Do you prefer one over the other, or just prefer one over the other for certain tasks? Do you use both? Which blades do you use most, and do you use the fence, etc.?

Let us know your thoughts on the two router planes.

Thanks in advance, and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 01-25-2022 at 9:44 PM.