Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edge/Flush Trimming Jigs

Blog Entries
    Router table with a tall fence and a flush trimming bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Would love to see a picture of the cutter block you are using there Joe, thanks.
    Chris,
    I just used my Garniga Multiuse cutter. It is basically a adjustable groover- rebate block with attachments for other cuts. The knickers give a clean cut since it is coming from the edge. I think any rebate block or adjustable groover with knickers would work as well.
    I have a Virutex lipping planer that cuts from the top but it’s a little fussy to use. I prefer the shaper for larger quantities.

Hoffmann and Lamelo have really nice lipping planers but spendy unless you use them a lot.
    A7A02C3B-45B2-4B98-BB26-26750240C30C.jpg
    419FC4A5-13F8-4CB9-932E-77C889BC3A62.jpg

Out of curiousity I looked up the Lamello Cantex, which I had never heard of. Is this old news and has been discontinued years ago by Lamello?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have the Festool MK700 and also the Fastcap Little Lipper. Both work well.

The Festool has a couple of things that you need to be aware of, first, it will only take a 5/8" cut length bit (without user modification to the flush fence), so your edge banding piece cannot be deeper than that. Also if you edgebanding piece has more than an 1/8" waste, the fence system doesn't have enough recess to allow it to cut this excess and rest on the finish surface, so it's difficult to start the cut.

With these limitations, I find myself reaching for the Fastcap Little Lipper, usually installed on my trim router.

I do use some of the tablesaw and router methods, mentioned earlier, but that depends upon how manageable the panel is when feeding through these tools.

The big shops had a guy that customized tools and made machinery mods. They made lipping tools out of power planers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Another simple setup is a half-width sub-base on a router with a straight cutter set flush with the bottom of the sub-base, climb cutting to avoid tearout at the edge.
    Yes- I've done that and still have the base I made. It also solves the problem of a bowed piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Chris,
    I just used my Garniga Multiuse cutter. It is basically a adjustable groover- rebate block with attachments for other cuts. The knickers give a clean cut since it is coming from the edge. I think any rebate block or adjustable groover with knickers would work as well.
    I have a Virutex lipping planer that cuts from the top but it’s a little fussy to use. I prefer the shaper for larger quantities.

Hoffmann and Lamelo have really nice lipping planers but spendy unless you use them a lot.
    A7A02C3B-45B2-4B98-BB26-26750240C30C.jpg
    419FC4A5-13F8-4CB9-932E-77C889BC3A62.jpg
    Joe — I was looking at the Virutex lipping planer. How fussy is fussy? :-). I’m pretty sure both the Hoffman and Lamello are no longer made.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Router table with a tall fence and a flush trimming bit.
    Yep, this is my usual go to method. I will have some larger panels to do (like 27x48) and not sure if this set-up is going to work for those.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I dont know who makes this but have it saved with the Hoffman. Ive never used one from a manufacturer only custom made ones and they worked excellent. Handle might be on the opposite side on this. I dont have time to go search this but maybe you can type in a model number and the manufacturer comes up.

7.JPG
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 01-27-2022 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    I dont know who makes this but have it saved with the Hoffman. Ive never used one from a manufacturer only custom made ones and they worked excellent. Handle might be on the opposite side on this. I dont have time to go search this but maybe you can type in a model number and the manufacturer comes up.

7.JPG

Virutex makes that one.

I liked the Little Lipper from FastCap because it was cheaper than most of the other suggestions at about $50 and it works really well. I used a three wing router bit and got really good results .

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Joe — I was looking at the Virutex lipping planer. How fussy is fussy? :-). I’m pretty sure both the Hoffman and Lamello are no longer made.
    Tom, in skilled hands it works fine. The balance is not great and you have to be careful running on to the work. The depth adjustment is fussy but once you get it set it’s OK. I only do cabinetry for myself now but 20 years ago we were doing 4 or 5 houses per year. Only my top hand could run it, most had trouble with it. About that time I was considering upgrading to the Adler lipping planer sold by Hoffmann. I tried one at a show and was night and day better. I believe it is still available. I did hear the Lammelo one was not available anymore.