Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy a saw set?

Where to buy a saw set?

I know there are several threads on this, but I'm asking again because Tools for Working Wood and Lee Valley seem to not sell saw sets any longer. Does anyone have a resource for purchasing a quality saw set for smaller teeth that is recent? I know I can get one on eBay or maybe Amazon, but I'd rather not unless that is my only option.

Amazon and Highland Woodworking look to have some options. You might also post a Wanted to By thread in the classified section. There maybe someone there who has some duplicates they would consider parting with.

Then there is this method: Setting saw teeth with a hammer and nail set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13C5MWTKfwE
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 01-25-2022 at 7:38 PM.

Are you looking for a new manufacturer or something of the old? I found a few good Stanley ones at random antique shops in the bins of "random tools" near the wood planes that are sold at decoration prices. You could also check Etsy, aside from handmade goods, shops sell vintage items and tools. There's saw sets on there ranging from a fair to an insultingly high price. Maybe this was all covered in the other threads, maybe not.

I don't think Somax is around anymore, at least I haven't seen a new Somax Eclipse 77 (which I use for fine tooth saws, instead of my 42x, mostly due to the pistol grip getting in the way) clone for a while now. If you go the used route, the 77 you want the one that is red inside.
    Last edited by mike stenson; 01-28-2022 at 11:47 AM.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Amazon and Highland Woodworking look to have some options.
    Amazon sells or rather lets vendors sell cheap knock-offs, I have returned all the sets I've bought there. With all the hassle it was a better investment to buy a Stanley set on eBay.

Amazon's marketplace is governed by some algorithm that rewards unscrupulous vendors, every once in a while Amazon purges these. So your experience might be different, but please be warned.

Also, if you manage to purchase a decent Eclipse style saw set on Amazon (or any other non-auction place) please do let me know.

I bought an old MF set on Ebay to replace the Craftsman that had a stripped adjustment wheel. Hang out and watch the auctions and one will show up that doesn't get bid to high.

I am 0 for 2 on buying vintage and am hoping the prototype on Rob Lee's desk makes it into production.

Also, check Patrick Leach’s monthly tool list. Most months (not all) he’ll have a 42x listed.

Blog Entries
    Bryan, Zahid is in Dallas and is trying to sell off all of his woodworking tools.

He has an ad in the SMC Classifieds.

It might be worth the drive.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I don't think Somax is around anymore, at least I haven't seen a new Somax Eclipse 77 (which I use for fine tooth saws, instead of my 42x, mostly due to the pistol grip getting in the way) clone for a while now. If you go the used route, the 77 you want the one that is red inside.
    I have a couple of Eclipse #77 as well as a couple of Stanley #42 saw sets. I like the lightness and visibility of the Eclipse, while the pre-clamping feature on the #42 offers more control.

In almost all cases, I have dissembled them and refiled the hammers to set 15-20 tpi teeth. The red Eclipse comes ready for 12 tpi (one I keep for tenon saws).

I imagine that almost any of the Stanleys, which are more common for the larger teeth of panel saws, can be re-filed for smaller teeth.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I have a couple of Eclipse #77 as well as a couple of Stanley #42 saw sets.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I am about to start making drawers for my saw till and am very curious to know the inside dimensions of the pictured drawer that meets your needs. I can't think of an earthly reason I would need a drawer for saw sets any bigger than yours is. Thanks.

Hi Scott

I posted a few pics of my saw till rebuild a few months back, but not the drawers ...

This has swing out tills for maximum storage ...

The drawers contain all that is needed for sharpening saws ...

Files, etc etc ...

Modded Veritas file holders ...

And four favourite saw sets (#42 and #77) ...

Disston 3D saw vise ...

I will get some dimensions later today.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 01-30-2022 at 8:25 PM.

Derek, could you show more about your modification of the Veritas file holders. Thanks.

Dimensions for the saw set drawer are: 9 1/4" deep (235mm) and 6" wide (150mm). Probably about 2" high.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    Derek, could you show more about your modification of the Veritas file holders. Thanks.
    Paul, all I did was (1) glue a small Stanley spirit level to the top of the protractor. These are aluminium and come with hook ears for hanging on a string line. Very cheap. (2) I cut a kerf into the main knob for a screwdriver, as this makes it easier to tighten/loosen.

The yellow spirit level in the drawer is to ensure that the saw blade is horizontal when clamped in the vise ...

Then, when you use the saw file guide, it will amaze you how easily it is to alter the file angle without meaning to do so. Once you have checked a few times how you are progressing, it becomes more automatic.

Regards from Perth

Derek