Thread: Should I buy a mini-bus? Am I out of my mind?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Should I buy a mini-bus? Am I out of my mind?

I'll preface this by saying that I know this is a pretty odd question, but I figured that there are a lot of wise people on this forum who might have experience with this type of thing, or advice.

I bid a couple of weeks ago on a bus in an online auction. I was the back bidder, and today the winner's time to pay ran out, and I received an email from the company saying that I have till Friday to decide if I want to buy the bus for my max bid of $1500 or pass on it. I'll put in a link to the bus in question:
    https://www.auctionsinternational.co...ird-bus-167996

I'd have to have it towed here, and then figure out the fuel leak that is mentioned. I have called my car insurance company and they don't seem sure, but I got a very approximate quote of $500 or so for a year, with the proviso that it might be a lot more than that, depending. Tomorrow I will email the insurance agent who is covering the house I am working on. She seems very knowledgable and eventually I will be switching all my insurance to her company, probably.

The reasons to buy this bus are:
    1. I have been looking for a while for a cargo van or similar to use this spring and summer while I am working on the house, 120 miles away, and vehicle prices are high.
    II. If I can fix the leak reasonably and insure it reasonably and if it doesn't break down I might be able to sell it for enough to cover some or all of the costs.
    C. It would be handy to own a vehicle to haul building materials and to use when moving the shop and household goods. I have a Subaru and a 5x8 trailer now.

Reasons not to buy are:
    A. It may be a money pit and/or break down and leave me in the lurch somewhere in the howling wilderness.
    2. With all the other moving parts in my life now another project/complexity is not really what I need.
    III. If I rent a van a few times to move what I need to it will cost $100 a day plus fuel and tax, and if it breaks down it will be somebody else's problem.

I will be grateful for any words of wisdom
    Last edited by Zachary Hoyt; 01-25-2022 at 7:12 PM.