Thread: No. 45 Plane Maintenance Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

No. 45 Plane Maintenance Question

I've got an older No. 45 combination plane, not sure of the type, but it doesn't have the fence adjustment for squaring the fence to the plane. My question or problem is the Cutter Bolt that secures the cutter against the body of the plane becomes stuck when I tighten it. To loosen it, I have to tap its wing nut with a mallet, after loosening the wing nut. I've cleaned the bolt and the tapered hole it fits in and have tried a small amount of light oil. Still becomes stuck, even if I only snug the nut.
    Any suggestions or recommendations to keep it from getting stuck. Overall I'm quite happy with the plane and use it whenever I can, its fun to use.

I have an old 45 that is pre-depth adjustment, where the iron needs to be set with a tap from a mallet. This plane experiences the same issue. I also have a later design 45, that features the depth adjustment wheel, and this plane has a plate of some sort that eliminated this issue. The wing nut on my older plane shows signs of hammer or bench tapping, so I'm not the first to do it. I think it was just a design glitch that got ironed out over time.

Here are some pictures of the difference I mentioned. The one with the extra screw and plate doesn't require a tap to loosen the cutter like the older model does

IMG_20220124_163404463.jpgIMG_20220124_163356865.jpg

I'll get a few better photos , later today, as the 45 will be in use...

Pin rides in a slot...sawdust can build up in that slot, not allowing it to move around that pin...sometimes a bit of rust on the pin hampers things. Usually I just tap the wing nut with just the palm of my hand..and yes, my does have that clip.....clip is just a smaller version of the clip Stanley used on the Frog adjust bolt. You'll find some 45s out there with a bent clip.....yes, you can bend it IF too much force is used.

That bolt can be removed, cleaned up, and the cavity it runs in also cleaned out...Rifle bore brush works quite well...maybe a drop of RBC added..( Rifle Bore Cleaner)....

The two 45s I have...Type 5 and Type 20.....putting the Roxton Pond T-20 to work, today...I hope. They are finicky, but quite fun to use...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

A better view of that clip..
    Stanley No. 45, clip, logo.JPG
    Logo on the "stern"...Roxton Pond, QUE, CAN.

Type 20, but has the "SW" markings...

Aka: Noodle Maker..
    The Sellers Box, Noodle Maker.JPG
    Have to pause now and then, to clear the mess out...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Thanks for the insights on my problem Jason and Steven. I've checked some type studies and it appears that my 45 dates somewhere between 1900 and 1915. Its fence rods slide through, not screwed into the main body (1900), it has the cutter bolt and clip, but no adjusting screw on the fence (1915). I've played around with the cutter bolt, its washer and clip. Cleaned all those, they were in good shape before cleaning, applied some wax as a lubricant – all to no improvement. A bit more fiddling, has suggested to me that only light tightening of the cutter bolt should be used; I'd definitely been cranking down on it too much.