Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Rice View Post
    I had started building a new work top/assembly surface on my Felder hydraulic lift cart last weekend and putting some finishing touches on it today
    Attachment 472629Attachment 472630Attachment 472631Attachment 472632
    Sweet! Sweet!
    Brian

2. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    to do to prepare for a shop building on the property and in general that starts with a boundary survey so I can site a building within setback requirements and go for zoning approval. The actual property line is over on the other side of the neighbor's driveway...likely a result from minimum lot size requirements when this property was subdivided from the larger plot that the neighboring house occupies. In this case, it works favorably for us as the building will be able to be very close to the fence line, even with a 15' setback, and block a lot less of the nice backyard. After zoning approval, things can move on to actually determining the "what" with the "where" being known. So this week I gotta kinda start a project plan to keep track of everything.
    Ditto, was pounding stakes in for this. I estimate $10k in tree removal though which is a gut punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Ditto, was pounding stakes in for this. I estimate $10k in tree removal though which is a gut punch.
    Interestly, my neighbor from a few doors down who is a contractor recently bought the house next to ours to rehab and resell. He and his spouse wanted to do something nice for the neighborhood and make sure that the place was handled well and not allowed to continue to degrade. (the previous owners haven't done any work including normal, needed maintenance for decades) It's going to be more work than they anticipated, but still a nice project. The tie in here is that while I was finishing up with snow removal on our driveway today, he and his spouse came up the street with a snowblower and shovel to take care of that property's driveway and he told me that he's going to have his guys removing some trees on that property...as well as the two dead ones I need down. He's already pulled a big stump out a few months ago on our property that just just said "I'm doing it" and it was done. I'm really fortunate that he is going to help out with this because it will save some money vs me hiring someone...it's not a job I can handle. I already paid $8K at the old property to remove some trees in the last year so I really do understand how you feel, Charles!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-29-2022 at 3:54 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim your neighbor seems like a guy that should definitely get a bid package for the new shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Jim your neighbor seems like a guy that should definitely get a bid package for the new shop.
    I will certainly be having a conversation with him, but AFAIK, he only does stick-built and I'm not likely going that route due to cost reasons. But who knows at this point? I have to get through zoning first...fun, fun, fun...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Rice View Post
    I had started building a new work top/assembly surface on my Felder hydraulic lift cart last weekend and putting some finishing touches on it today
    Attachment 472629Attachment 472630Attachment 472631Attachment 472632
    What a great idea that is, Pat. I wish I had seen that before I built my large shop cabinet. Nice job. And the Festool Vac Sys clamping system x 2 also. Whole project cost you a big chunk of change, I'm sure, but should be incredibly useful.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 01-30-2022 at 8:37 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Interestly, my neighbor from a few doors down who is a contractor recently bought the house next to ours to rehab and resell. He and his spouse wanted to do something nice for the neighborhood and make sure that the place was handled well and not allowed to continue to degrade. (the previous owners haven't done any work including normal, needed maintenance for decades) It's going to be more work than they anticipated, but still a nice project. The tie in here is that while I was finishing up with snow removal on our driveway today, he and his spouse came up the street with a snowblower and shovel to take care of that property's driveway and he told me that he's going to have his guys removing some trees on that property...as well as the two dead ones I need down. He's already pulled a big stump out a few months ago on our property that just just said "I'm doing it" and it was done. I'm really fortunate that he is going to help out with this because it will save some money vs me hiring someone...it's not a job I can handle. I already paid $8K at the old property to remove some trees in the last year so I really do understand how you feel, Charles!
    In my dreams I wish I had a neighbor like that. I'm already $9k into tree removal since I bought the house 11 years ago and that's just having the stumps ground below grade. Since my house has doubled in value I'm tempted to sell it and have a new house and shop built in one fell swoop on land that's been cleared of trees. Here in WA we have Fir trees which have a tap root that goes straight down, you need a bull dozer with a stump splitter to split the stump then a full size excavator to dig it out.

I will certainly be having a conversation with him, but AFAIK, he only does stick-built and I'm not likely going that route due to cost reasons. But who knows at this point? I have to get through zoning first...fun, fun, fun...
    Okay it was 11 years ago but my stick built custom home builder quoted me $30k for a stick built 25x35 foot shop. At the time that was in the neighborhood of metal shop buildings. Wait, I think we are in the wrong forum for this discussion lol I'm moving over there.

Okay it was 11 years ago but my stick built custom home builder quoted me $30k for a stick built 25x35 foot shop. At the time that was in the neighborhood of metal shop buildings. Wait, I think we are in the wrong forum for this discussion lol I'm moving over there.
    Metal is definitely on the menu at this point and a preliminary look puts a completed cost about what you mention, not including survey and zoning. I'll be getting post frame quote(s), too. I actually like both of these choices as they go up uber-fast which will scratch the itch quickly. Then again, lead times for "anything" are long at this point.
    --

Then again, lead times for "anything" are long at this point.
    Depends on how much of a hurry you are in. My neighbor down the road has been assembling his metal shop building for...9 years. lmao

Depends on how much of a hurry you are in. My neighbor down the road has been assembling his metal shop building for...9 years. lmao
    That's funny. What I'd be looking at goe up in a day; two at the most, not including the concrete slab. Wood post frame has a similar time frame. I'm not doing the work myself. I'll handle the interior, but the build will be by others.
    --

Alan, the Felder hydraulic lift table is not inexpensive but my back thanks me every time I use it to adjust the working height to suit my body. Have had the Festool vac Sys clamps for awhile. A big unexpected expense was the cost of two sheets of Baltic birch plywood. I have been extremely please with the new worktop.