Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

24 Jan 2022,
    Greetings,
    Been keeping the woodstove warm and fired up this week with the cold temps we've been having. Spent time in the shop fixing things, working on Joe's queen size bed and just finished milling the wood for an antique truck bed restoration job for a buddy of mine. He's supposed to come pick up the milled wood today. I am still oncall duty until 8 AM tomorrow morning, so there's that too. The LOML and I sat and watched a movie and called that our date night out. I also decided to put some waste wood to work by turning it into some cell phone stands. I don't like throwing wood away if I can find a use for it.
    cellphonestands.jpg

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

'Glad you're getting shop time, Dennis!

I spent no time in the "refrigerated" shop this past week. I did take care of replacing the primary ceiling lighting in the kitchen with a large LED fixture with some additional lighting upgrades to come. 'Had to replace the espresso machine as the steam boiler was apparently degraded by the acidic water at the old property and began leaking...which is a real safety issue. Since it was over ten years old, I chose to replace rather than send it out for what would likely be an expensive repair. The new one has a few nice enhancements. Ordered the induction range for the kitchen, too, and will be putting in the permit application this week for a whole house generator. (having the old property finally sold and off our plate as freed up the ability to get to our intended improvements here at the new place)

Shop-related, I've also started my "list" of things to do to prepare for a shop building on the property and in general that starts with a boundary survey so I can site a building within setback requirements and go for zoning approval. The actual property line is over on the other side of the neighbor's driveway...likely a result from minimum lot size requirements when this property was subdivided from the larger plot that the neighboring house occupies. In this case, it works favorably for us as the building will be able to be very close to the fence line, even with a 15' setback, and block a lot less of the nice backyard. After zoning approval, things can move on to actually determining the "what" with the "where" being known. So this week I gotta kinda start a project plan to keep track of everything.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finished building a 3 drawer nightstand that is a carbon copy of one I built 25 years ago for the other side of the bed. Putting the last coat of clear on it now. Burned my scrap pile from the nightstand and wood rack and put tools up to get organized before starting the next project of 2 end tables.

Scribed and cut the walnut laminate for the counter extension above the lower pantry shelving yet to be installed. need higher temps in the s'hanger to apply Waterlox. Had dinner with oldest granddaughter Wensday she had covid related fever Friday. Been like squirrel nutted up for winter since. Well I did slink off to the s'hanger and sprayed little rattle can lacquer on the next lighthouse totem. Also cut the Marlee burl for the base and sanded both sides. I've been trying to buy a 2-3/16" Forstner bit for 3 weeks. None in stock, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ... to prepare for a shop building ... ... start a project plan to keep track of everything.
    Have fun.

If you GC it yourself, step 1 is to dig three holes at the back edge of the property, each 6' deep x 6' L x 2' W, re-fill one hole and drive an old hammer into the fill dirt (handle first) of this hole. Leave the others open; spoil dirt piled next to each. Step 2 - Hold ALL meetings with subs standing next to the empty holes.

"So. You cut up ALL my 2x10s rafter material to use as staging because you didn't bring your own scaffolding? Explain who's going to pay for replacements." You'll get a more financially favorable answer if you stand near the holes (if only I'd received this advice before construction).

Continued work on the Towel Cubby from reclaimed wood from our home. I cut the sliding dovetails for the shelves, drilled the dowel holes for the carcase construction and dry fitted the whole arrangement. The whole thing looked good, so took it back apart to begin the sanding and pre-finishing steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Have fun.

If you GC it yourself, step 1 is to dig three holes at the back edge of the property, each 6' deep x 6' L x 2' W, re-fill one hole and drive an old hammer into the fill dirt (handle first) of this hole. Leave the others open; spoil dirt piled next to each. Step 2 - Hold ALL meetings with subs standing next to the empty holes.

"So. You cut up ALL my 2x10s rafter material to use as staging because you didn't bring your own scaffolding? Explain who's going to pay for replacements." You'll get a more financially favorable answer if you stand near the holes (if only I'd received this advice before construction).
    While I'm sure I'll be handling much of the planning and post-construction interior stuff, the actual building will be contracted. I do not have the physical ability to take on a project of that size. But I do like your "meeting room" idea. LOL
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    'Glad you're getting shop time, Dennis!

I spent no time in the "refrigerated" shop this past week. I did take care of replacing the primary ceiling lighting in the kitchen with a large LED fixture with some additional lighting upgrades to come. 'Had to replace the espresso machine as the steam boiler was apparently degraded by the acidic water at the old property and began leaking...which is a real safety issue. Since it was over ten years old, I chose to replace rather than send it out for what would likely be an expensive repair. The new one has a few nice enhancements. Ordered the induction range for the kitchen, too, and will be putting in the permit application this week for a whole house generator. (having the old property finally sold and off our plate as freed up the ability to get to our intended improvements here at the new place)

Shop-related, I've also started my "list" of things to do to prepare for a shop building on the property and in general that starts with a boundary survey so I can site a building within setback requirements and go for zoning approval. The actual property line is over on the other side of the neighbor's driveway...likely a result from minimum lot size requirements when this property was subdivided from the larger plot that the neighboring house occupies. In this case, it works favorably for us as the building will be able to be very close to the fence line, even with a 15' setback, and block a lot less of the nice backyard. After zoning approval, things can move on to actually determining the "what" with the "where" being known. So this week I gotta kinda start a project plan to keep track of everything.
    Exciting times! I hope you keep a photo Diary in Workshops.

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    Exciting times! I hope you keep a photo Diary in Workshops.
    There will likely be two threads; one during the planning process and one for the build of whatever monstrosity it ends up being, but maybe just one. You know I'm not squeamish about posting photos.
    --

Jim, good luck on the shop planning...that's always a lot of fun, at least for me! Did you find the range you wanted in stock somewhere? My supplier still has no clue when our Cafe dual oven model might come in...ordered last July. Part of the issue is Mary wanted it in white, which is less popular than stainless or black stainless; which seem to be more available. Oh well, it comes when it comes.

Pretty much all I got done this week was to install a reverse osmosis filter system to feed a dispenser faucet at the sink and the fridge ice maker/cold water dispenser. I had stubbed out the feed to the dispenser at the kitchen sink while doing the work in there, but the filter system is installed in a basement store room, so I had to run from there to the line to the kitchen, and switch the feed to the fridge from the normal water to the filter system. Then I had to run feed water to the filter and a drain line to the sump for the r/o waste. In addition to the r/o, I added a remineralization/ PH booster filter and a UV light treatment unit after the r/o. You can get r/o filters with those extras but I didn't care for the flow rates and capacities of those units so I rolled my own with separate components. Also had to extend power for the r/o booster pump and the UV unit. End result is great drinking/coffee/tea water and great pressure and flow rate at the faucet so no long waits to fill stuff up.

Seems like at least half the time was spent moving "stuff" around in the store room and rec room to get access to mount the filters and run the plumbing and electrical. And then I spent pretty much all day today putting tools and supplies away and clearing away the mess that had accumulated at the bottom of the stairs from earlier project phases.

The tile we ordered for the backsplash came in so I picked that up. I had no trouble getting thinset and grout, but had to order color matched caulk online at nutso prices because I couldn't find any locally. Seems like caulk is another supply chain bottleneck at the moment. I have to do the casing on the kitchen window next, and then will start on the backsplash.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Did you find the range you wanted in stock somewhere? My supplier still has no clue when our Cafe dual oven model might come in...ordered last July. Part of the issue is Mary wanted it in white, which is less popular than stainless or black stainless; which seem to be more available. Oh well, it comes when it comes..

In stock...no. Also went Café but the single oven with the warming drawer after Professor Dr. SWMBO and I discussed it at length. We kinda already have the second small oven with the Ninja that I use extensively and in our now much smaller kitchen, giving up the drawer at the bottom would mean losing important storage space for things I often use. Mine was ordered direct as I have an employee/retiree discount program benefit with many companies including GE. It's backordered, but will be delivered from their Allentown PA distribution center once it's available. Oh, and we're SS all the way. I could have had it in a few weeks through HD, but I don't need to be in a hurry and pay more.
    --

Dennis, I'm glad you are getting some sop time; that truck restoration project sounds "Skookum" (you need to be from British Columbia to understand the term).
    Jim, I hope we get the blow-by-blow of the build as it progresses.
    Not a lot of woodworking this week, but a lot of progress in other areas. New linked (and remote controlled) LED strip lighting in my basement rather than the ad hoc system before, which allowed me to transfer the other strips LED to the work area - a huge improvement.
    Became unhappy with the plinths of the small cabinets I'm building so removed them with thanks to hide glue's characteristics, and got new Oak to build the bases anew.
    Watched the SawStop videos on doing the adjustments, so tonight I confirmed the blade/slot clearance is within tolerance (.15mm back-front).
    Usual ego clashes at the "volunteer" job. Sometimes it just doesn't seem worth it.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Foolishly, I continue to work on making flooring, amazing how much better at ripping a stock feeder is than me😀

Regards, Rod

I had started building a new work top/assembly surface on my Felder hydraulic lift cart last weekend and putting some finishing touches on it today
    07E99513-B827-45D5-BAD6-4ED296834DA1.jpgED1C7E15-412C-4416-9847-4C2BBA92E719.jpg6CCF9B6A-065F-4130-9246-BDB84DB79480.jpg6E4F7640-AB9F-42EA-A6F0-B5BD87CF1D93.jpg

Mission style dresser

Finished my mission style dresser I have been working on. Brian

Dresser complete.jpg
    Brian