Thread: Nfl playoff weekend!

Nfl playoff weekend!

WOW!
    The best three games in recent memory, followed by arguably the best game in all of my memory!
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Yeah, here in KC, we pretty happy with how the weekend ended.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Best four games ever in one weekend, and the best single game ever!

25 points in the last 1:54 to send it to overtime. A new NFL record for scoring in the last two minutes with a sudden death touch down in O/T. And now multiple folks are calling for O/T rules to be changed?

It was, indeed, a great weekend for NFL football!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I always thought the OT rules were a bit stupid. Each team should be allowed one possession minimum, otherwise too much hinges on the coin toss.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Yeah, here in KC, we pretty happy with how the weekend ended.
    Has your heart started beating again? I bet with 13 seconds left you felt it was over.

I read an article that says the team that wins (and receives the ball) the coin toss wins about 52% of the time. In college ball the team that wins (and goes second) the flip wins about 54% of the time. There's just no easy "best way" when it comes to OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I read an article that says the team that wins (and receives the ball) the coin toss wins about 52% of the time.
    I saw the same (I think) article: that's a skewed statistic. The record for the team winning the toss (under the current rules) is 86-67-10. But those 10 ties mean that the team that loses the toss only wins 41% of the time. If you throw out the 10 ties, the coin toss margin is 56.2% to 43.8%, a 12.4% difference.

In post-season, it's much worse: the team winning the toss has won 10 out of 11 O/T games...and in 7 of those 10, the losing team never got the ball.
    https://dknation.draftkings.com/2022...regular-season
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Really had the feeling which ever team won the toss would win the game. It proved to be true.

Winning the toss and going on to win the game is only pertinent if they won on their first drive which means they scored a TD.

I'm fine with the rule as it is since defense is part of the big picture as well. You have to hold the opening drive to a FG to get the ball for your offense.

Hoping for a Cincy - San Fran Super Bowl but expecting LA -KC.

With the current OT rules, it puts all the onus of the loss on the defense if the first possession results in a TD.

If after that first TD, the other side gets a set of downs, if the offense fails to score, then both sides, of the team, are responsible for the loss.

And what are we talking about here, we've just watched 3.5 hours of a game, what's another 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    With the current OT rules, it puts all the onus of the loss on the defense if the first possession results in a TD.

If after that first TD, the other side gets a set of downs, if the offense fails to score, then both sides, of the team, are responsible for the loss.

And what are we talking about here, we've just watched 3.5 hours of a game, what's another 5 minutes.
    Exactly. I sure would have liked to see if the opposing QB could have pulled another miracle.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I always thought the OT rules were a bit stupid. Each team should be allowed one possession minimum, otherwise too much hinges on the coin toss.
    I think they should play the whole OT period just like in basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I think they should play the whole OT period just like in basketball
    Soccer has two periods so neither team gains a weather (sun or wind) advantage.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.