I am hoping there might be some SD residents here, or maybe others who know the state?

I'm sorting through my options of finding a suitable place to relocate to and retire within the next 24 months. I have lived all over the country, but my driver's license has been AK since I first got it. I grew up in Montana, with summers working on the family ranch in Nevada. I like rural areas, and detest excessive traffic lights. A handful are OK, but every block? - no. City life is not for me. Traffic jams are not for me. But I also want to be close to amenities and supplies. Within an hour's drive at any rate. I like and enjoy the arts, but am in no way "woke". My political views are pretty much dead center, with a general dislike of extremes in either direction.

I spent five years looking for a spot to build a retirement home on (and a workshop). My criteria was a climate with four seasons (mellow winter) at least one acre of land, no dirt road journeys to my property, and an unobstructed water view. Ocean, lake, or river - in that order. Ended up buying a lot in southern Colorado about three years ago on a small lake. At the time, "nice", (quality - not luxury) building costs were roughly $250 per square foot. Seemed high at that time, but that's what I budgeted for. Now, I'm being told to budget for $400. That does not include the land or any other fees, costs in prep. And, if I could afford $400 per foot, I can't get anyone to commit to building the thing. I can't even get a surveyor to commit for TOPO work before July. Architects, nope, so now I'm drafting the thing myself. This area of the state has gone nuts. COVID has created an environment where folks can work remote, so many big dollar earners from Cali that can work on Zoom, but don't want to deal with Cali craziness, have found this place. It's only a matter of time before these folks make this part of Colo just like the place they are moving from. So now I'm thinking I'll sell this lot (I am constantly being asked to sell it) and find somewhere else to relocate to.

I had planned for an early retirement at 55, build myself a dedicated work shop and learn high to fly fish. That is not happening in Southern Colo anytime soon. So now I'm looking for a piece of land again. A friend of mine said I need to look at SD. He bought some land in the Black Hills and can't stop talking about how great it is. I have not spent any time in this part of the country though. Only passing through while getting from point A to point B. Are there places where I might find a piece of land with a water view? Some trees, mountains, fishing/hunting, etc? What's the economy like? Taxes - income and real estate? How bad are the winters? I can, and have research some of this, but living there and Google searches are two very different things. Looking for thoughts/input from residents or others who have personal experience.

I plan to spend a couple weeks in a rental car, driving around this part of the country this spring. I'll expand my search grid accordingly.