Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Relocating: South Dakota?

Thanks for the clarification. Two of my coworkers went to college in Moscow in the early 2000's. I've been talking to both of them about the area (they are married with kids, and met each other in school, one was born/raised in Alaska and the other was born/raised in Boise). It's funny talking to them separately. They have very different memories of their college years living in Moscow...... I think it would be worth another drive through, and possibly spend a couple days there to get a feel for the place, before I make commitments I can't back away from.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-11-2022 at 8:05 AM. Reason: removed political content from quote

Have you considered Utqiagvik? I hear the sun just rose there yesterday for the first time since November.

A little cold in winter, but lots of sunshine in the summer. I rather enjoyed my stay there a few years ago. Not sure if it would qualify as four seasons. Perhaps one.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Flint is 30 mi N of us. It isn't all that bad.
    ......It isn't all that bad should be the City Logo and painted on the water towers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Have you considered Utqiagvik? I hear the sun just rose there yesterday for the first time since November.

A little cold in winter, but lots of sunshine in the summer. I rather enjoyed my stay there a few years ago. Not sure if it would qualify as four seasons. Perhaps one.
    For those of us that are geographically challenged, Alan is talking about Barrow Alaska. They decided to revert to the original name. Regarding the weather, I’m reminded of upstate NY where they have two seasons: winter and the Fourth of July.

I've been working in the oil/gas industry, in the state for about 30 years. I have spent a fair amount of time on the slope. More than enough to scratch that itch. So no - I have not considered moving there.......

We get about 18 hours of daylight in the summer where I live, and that same amount of time without sun in the winter. Summers can be a blessing and a curse. I've burnt the candle at both ends working construction, building my homes, or just fishing on a river bank and not realizing what the time is.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Last summer, I drove through Ohio and made a quick stop in Charm to get some lumber at Keim. Keim lived up to all the positive reviews but the area was well worth the trip. The Amish farms were so tidy. I even liked slowing down so I wouldn’t hit a carriage.

I know I’m sort of in love with the idea of living in Amish country. The reality could be different.
    My wife says I was amish in a past life, and every time we go down through amish country she refers to them as ‘your people’ or ‘your family’. I joke about wanting to move to one of the communities all the time.
    We live an hr-hr and a half north of there, and go down a couple times a year. It’s kind of disheartening to see how commercialized it’s gotten, although i can understand they have to make a living too.

I'm not from here
    but people tell me
    it's not like it used to be.
    They say I shoulda been here
    back about ten years
    before it got ruined by folks like me...

On to some bright future somewhere
    down the road to points unknown
    sending postcards when we get there
    wherever it is we think we'll go

James McMurtry

Good luck. Maybe you'll know it when you see it.

A girlfriend of mine has been going on and on about Franklin Tenn. She had a 'girls' trip to Tenn last fall. Nashville mostly, but she ventured out to Chattanooga and ended up in Franklin. Some of the pictures of that town, and surrounding area are definitely appealing to me. I think my trip might start in Memphis, drive east - through the state to Franklin, up through Kentucky, and back westerly through Missouri. Two weeks or thereabouts, I think. I'm thinking April....

That really is a nice area of the country to consider, Michael. Seasons without the extremes (well...hopefully...) and pleasant surroundings.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As a 33 year resident of Franklin, TN, I can attest that this is truly a wonderful spot to live.

However, the word got out a few years ago, and the selling prices of homes has become almost laughable. Even 50 year old plain jane houses with zero upgrades are selling within days of listing, for prices that probably have the orginal owners rapidly rotating in their current plane of existence.

"Call someplace Paradise, Kiss it Goodbye"

Quote Originally Posted by John M Wilson View Post
    As a 33 year resident of Franklin, TN, I can attest that this is truly a wonderful spot to live.

However, the word got out a few years ago, and the selling prices of homes has become almost laughable. Even 50 year old plain jane houses with zero upgrades are selling within days of listing, for prices that probably have the orginal owners rapidly rotating in their current plane of existence.

"Call someplace Paradise, Kiss it Goodbye"
    I've been reading that Eastern Tenn in general has been inundated with folks moving there, and property is getting difficult to find.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-30-2022 at 1:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    I've been reading that Eastern Tenn in general has been inundated with folks moving there, and property is getting difficult to find.
    I think the market is not as bad as some areas I've read about, both in availability and price. There is still a LOT of undeveloped land on this end of the state and neighboring NC, VA, SC and I see new listings of properties with decent houses almost daily. You just have to be fast. I know that some realtors will send text messages and emails the instant something becomes available, maybe even before it's listed if they like you. If you come visit and decide you like the area we can introduce you to a good friend who happens to be a realtor. She sold our river property for more than the asking price even before it was listed.

But there are some areas that for some reason attract wealthy people from all over. One guy told me he found out about the area from a couple of friends who moved from Florida and after one visit decided to move here.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    Blame John Jordan. J/K John I spent a couple weeks in Chattanooga a couple years ago, didn't seem like a bad place to call home at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Blame John Jordan. J/K John I spent a couple weeks in Chattanooga a couple years ago, didn't seem like a bad place to call home at all.
    I know two people who were looking for a place to move to to get out of hot dry or freezing cold climates. I told them my opinion. They moved here and haven't left, 10 years or so later. I think in once case moving to the heart of hardwood heaven might have been a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    I'm not from here
    but people tell me
    it's not like it used to be.
    They say I shoulda been here
    back about ten years
    before it got ruined by folks like me...

On to some bright future somewhere
    down the road to points unknown
    sending postcards when we get there
    wherever it is we think we'll go

James McMurtry

Good luck. Maybe you'll know it when you see it.
    Nice, I have tickets to see him in March. Always enjoyed him.