Thread: Delta 52-975 band saw manual

Delta 52-975 band saw manual

Looking for info on this saw and a manual for it.
    I have a new single phase 1.5hp motor and plan to swap it out with the 3 phase motor that's in it.
    Can I use the existing on/off switch and just run new wire up to it?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

From the tag (at 3.7 Amps), I'm going to assume it has a 1Hp motor wired for 230VAC/3p in its current configuration. I don't have a manual, but would also assume that the saw is operated with a direct-on-line (DOL) contactor/relay/starter and overload (in the box, low on the back). The simple answer to your question is "Yes, you can use the existing switch." If you set the new controls up properly.

To be much further help, I'd need to know more about the existing circuit and how you plan to operate the new 1p motor:
    What voltage for the new motor? 120V/240V?
    If so equipped, do you want to keep the DOL contactor?
    - - What is the coil voltage?
    - - Is there a transformer?

With no DOL contactor, the hand switch would see the stated 3.7Amps across each of 3 poles of the switch as-is (that is a LOT of wire to pass thru that switch, and it certainly doesn't look to have this). If you run a new 120V hot thru the same switch, you'll need to confirm the contact can support ~20Amps. Or, 10Amps if you're using 230V. (I'd bet it won't!)

If there is a DOL contactor, then it boils down to your desired operating voltage, and so how you power the coil. You may also need to replace the overloads, depending on their range.

I'll let the Delta bandsaw gurus opine on the apparent increased Hp and any impact on the frame.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 01-23-2022 at 8:01 AM. Reason: typo

Several years ago I had a single phase saw similar to this and don't recall the wiring being all that complicated.
    Thinking it went straight from the motor to the switch but you are welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

Looking at the pictures, your saw is a 28-XXX series saw, with a three phase motor and contactor . The push button switch on column is most likely just a push button switch that controls the contactor. You can bypass contactor and use just switch to control the motor. Being three phase, the transformer operates on 220. If you are wiring saw for 220, then you could use two poles of the contactor to control motor. On my enclosed base saw, the switch (push button like yours) is mounted on upper right corner of the base. On my open stand, switch (toggle switch) was mounted the same way, but I relocated to the position your switch is.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 01-23-2022 at 11:40 AM.

Thank you! I've asked the seller to look on the frame for the correct model number.
    Do you know of any reason why I can't use a 1.5hp motor on it?
    Last edited by Ron Hampe; 01-23-2022 at 12:29 PM.

Seller replied and it is a 28-203.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hampe View Post
    Several years ago I had a single phase saw similar to this and don't recall the wiring being all that complicated.
    Thinking it went straight from the motor to the switch but you are welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.
    I’ve had 2 of the same ‘straight feeds’ on 1ph bandsaws, as well as multiple other tools = power >> switch >> motor. They use manual ‘starters’ rated for the required amperage of the motor. If you pursue this option, the switch (contacts) must be rated for your use case: 20Amps if you opt for 120VAC supply; 10Amps if you use 230V.

It may also be possible to use an existing DOL relay, subject to my original questions.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 01-23-2022 at 1:52 PM.

The 52-975 came with a low voltage control (LVC) USA-made magnetic starter that listed for about $500.00 in 2004. Yes, that starter can be configured to control a 1.5 HP single phase motor and it would be a far better control than most of the trash available these days from the sellers of cheap stuff. The wires on control transformer need to be changed to the proper voltage tap you're using. When I do it, I'll ignore a third wire of the three phase power, generally referred to as L3. There's a wiring diagram inside the starter.
    Two new heaters will be needed. The chart will show which ones. The heaters for line L3 will need to stay there to maintain continuity in the overload block. The heaters will likely be GE, or maybe Furnas if its an older unit.

Would it not be better to keep everything as is and get a VFD? Lots cheaper and no extra wiring required. The VFD would likely be around $100 and the wiring would be even simpler. The soft start feature is nice to have on a bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    Would it not be better to keep everything as is and get a VFD? Lots cheaper and no extra wiring required. The VFD would likely be around $100 and the wiring would be even simpler. The soft start feature is nice to have on a bandsaw.
    Kinda would need to change the motor to a three phase unit if I'm not mistaken to use a VFD...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I understand it to be three phase currently, and he wants to replace the motor and switch gear.

I have a very similar Delta bandsaw that is single phase. I will check that it is the same and that I have the manual. I got the saw used so I am not sure that I received it. I will scan and email the manual if I have it.

Replacement parts are not available from the successor company to the original Rockwell-Delta. I did get trunnions from eReplacementParts.com.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 01-24-2022 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    I understand it to be three phase currently, and he wants to replace the motor and switch gear.
    Ouch...I missed that point. Apologies, Greg. And yes, VFD would be a valid thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I have a very similar Delta bandsaw that is single phase. I will check that it is the same and that I have the manual. I got the saw used so I am not sure that I received it. I will scan and email the manual if I have it.

Replacement parts are not available from the successor company to the original Rockwell-Delta. I did get trunnions from eReplacementParts.com.
    I do not have the manual. Sorry.