Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Electrical service size

I just looked up the difference between a glass kiln and a pottery kiln and found this: https://spinningpots.com/glass-kiln-vs-pottery-kiln/

Blog Entries
    The house we built on our Daughter and SIL's property is driven by a 125A breaker in the main house. I have an Energy Detective on the input to our breaker box. I use that to figure our share of the electricity. It works fine.

There's a guy down the street who's brother runs the residential solar program at DOE so he has every energy saving gizmo that you can imagine. He uses Sense which has way more smarts than my Energy Detective. He likes it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    The house we built on our Daughter and SIL's property is driven by a 125A breaker in the main house. I have an Energy Detective on the input to our breaker box. I use that to figure our share of the electricity. It works fine.

There's a guy down the street who's brother runs the residential solar program at DOE so he has every energy saving gizmo that you can imagine. He uses Sense which has way more smarts than my Energy Detective. He likes it a lot.
    Not to hijack this thread, but it's interesting looking at the Sense website and reviews. I have Curb Energy sensors on my home. These have individual sensors attached to each circuit breaker that I specified, so I can know exactly how much energy they are using. It doesn't need the AI to figure it out, like the Sense does, and reports it on a web app. I initially got it to know how much battery capacity I would need in a blackout scenario with a hurricane. The information was interesting. I think it was more in the $500 range, as opposed to the Sense $399 range. And it's only on one circuit panel. I'd imagine additional sensors would add more cost as well. But the Sense monitor, does look interesting, but can take months to identify devices using the power. Everyone seems to complain it's too slow to initially identify appliances.

Anyway, don't want to hijack, but energy monitoring is interesting, and absolutely could save you money if used wisely.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

To close this out in case anyone was curious on what I ended up doing. After contacting several more electricians I did end up finding a company that was able to do it for just under 10k. I just paid the deposit last week. I ended up going with a 600amp CT Cabinet with 200 amp meter for the living quarters and 400 amps for mine and my wife's shop. I got prices as high as 32k to do that and the 10k bid was the lowest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch schiffer View Post
    To close this out in case anyone was curious on what I ended up doing. After contacting several more electricians I did end up finding a company that was able to do it for just under 10k. I just paid the deposit last week. I ended up going with a 600amp CT Cabinet with 200 amp meter for the living quarters and 400 amps for mine and my wife's shop. I got prices as high as 32k to do that and the 10k bid was the lowest.
    Thats a great price IMHO. Wait until the work is do e though for a final update, it would be nice to know if your happy with the final result.

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    Thats a great price IMHO. Wait until the work is do e though for a final update, it would be nice to know if your happy with the final result.
    Will do. I actually didn't pick this electrician because he was the cheapest he seemed the most honest to me. The last electrician I talked to quoted 30k and wouldn't give me anything itemized or even a material list of what he planed to install.