Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: how would you make this chamfered edge?

Blog Entries
    Roger. Will you modernize anything or do you try to keep everything as original as posable?. The billows and all of the mechanicals look like they would be as much fun to watch as the dancers.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Roger. Will you modernize anything or do you try to keep everything as original as posable?. The billows and all of the mechanicals look like they would be as much fun to watch as the dancers.
    I keep everything as original as I can. Only traditional materials, mostly leather and hot hide glue in this instrument. Obtaining good rubber-covered cloth has become very difficult, I no re-do almost everything in leather instead. Re-leathering the pump in this organ was quite the project on its own. it is big enough that more than one hide was required to cover each of the bellows so I needed to learn how to skive leather, basically to make a scarf joint with no bump in the thickness.

I will be adding a non-invasive MIDI system to the organ to supplement the roll playing system allowing me to have a much larger music library.

Blog Entries
    I remember the dread associated with the condition of the kid leather bellows for the organ at Cambridge Port Church. You are a dedicated and patient fellow!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    If you make a template for a router with a collet you could first cut the hole with one router using a straight or spiral bit, and then cut the chamfer with another router set up with a chamfer bit.

Of drill the hole on the drill press, then cut the chamfer as described above, using a locator plug to guarantee the template is centered on the hole.

John

This is how I would go after it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm sure there are some Creekers with a CNC in your area. If I was close I'd have done it just for the experience. I was thinking CNC when you showed the initial photo but the method you used worked great and didn't require anything more than some "tool re-engineering". and privilege of being a part of the restoration.

depending on how many id get a router bit made to do it with a plunge router. Chip clearance could be an issue but the bit can be made with that in mind or plunge more than once if need be.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I keep everything as original as I can. Only traditional materials, mostly leather and hot hide glue in this instrument. Obtaining good rubber-covered cloth has become very difficult, I no re-do almost everything in leather instead. Re-leathering the pump in this organ was quite the project on its own. it is big enough that more than one hide was required to cover each of the bellows so I needed to learn how to skive leather, basically to make a scarf joint with no bump in the thickness.

I will be adding a non-invasive MIDI system to the organ to supplement the roll playing system allowing me to have a much larger music library.
    Roger, do you document your projects? I would enjoy reading a blog, looking at pictures, or watching a video of one of your restorations. It takes a lot of time that you would probably rather spend spreading glue and making sawdust.
    I am Googling "MIDI system organ supplement" next.

I found a YouTube in French and a site for "The Virtual Roll Player Interface"
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 01-29-2022 at 7:01 AM.

I've got many hundreds of pictures, mostly to help me remember how to put it back together. I'm about three articles behind on writing up something for one of the mechanical music collectors magazines, and I've only occasionally tried writing an ongoing series of posts -- did one here on building my last guitar, but this doesn't seem like an appropriate form for an organ refurbishing book.

Check out user DuoArtOrgan on youtube for a fellow who does extraordinary work of this kind.

Nothing to add now that it's done - but - thanks for an enjoyable hour - searching online & learning about (Joseph and) Arthur Bursens.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon