As part of rebuilding an organ action I need to make a board with an array of 72 wells in it. The wells are about 3/8" deep and 1-1/8" " in diameter. Clearly drilling the holes is easy, but how would you reproduce the chamfered edge (there are several reasons why it is important to the eventual function of the piece-- a piece of very thin, dished piece of leather will be glued over top of it and air pressure from underneath will actuate a valve. I can get into the details if anyone cares. So I'm not interested in redesigning it, just trying to figure out how it can be made. Dozens of organ manufacturers have made the same thing over the last two centuries, so it must be pretty straightforward, but there is no tool to do it in the organ supply catalogs. They need to be reasonably uniform from well to well.

The holes are too shallow to accommodate a router bearing, all of the countersink type cutters I can find go to a vee and would bottom out long before shaping the edge. I can imagine what the right cutter would look like, but is there any easy way to do this without having someone make me a custom tool? I don't have a mill or CNC machine, hoping for a drill press based solution.

Here is a side and top view of the shape of the well.

pouch well.jpg