Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how would you make this chamfered edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cameron View Post
    Say you have two routers equipped with 7/8 id guide bushings and you purchase a router bit like the one shown. It has a 25/32 od. The bearing can be removed and it'.s mounting collar ground off (plus a little more if need be). Make a plywood template with an appropriate size hole to rout out your shallow hole using a 1/2 inch straight router bit and a guide bushing in one router. The chopped off chamfer bit in another router with the same diameter guide bushing can cut the desired chamfer by adjusting the bit up or down. Voila.
    https://www.toolstoday.com/media/cat.../s/msl2454.jpg
    Here is a really cheap router bit that could do the job. You would need to grind down the 7/8 od just enough to fit inside the 1" od, 7/8"id guide bushing.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/35383531073...QAAOSwKSRhzmRL

This was an interesting problem to ponder. Now that you've solved it, perhaps there's no need for further discussion.
    But just in case, one solution I thought up is using an inexpensive fly wheel style circle cutter at the drill press. These things have a chisel shaped cutter and you could set it up so the chamfer is on the outside and proceed to drill your hole partway to the depth of chamfer you like. Then swap out for another conventional bit, using the same pilot hole.

s-l300.jpg

Blog Entries
    Roger Wiegand, I am enjoying the images of your progress! Best regards, Maurice

Just for context, this is the organ I'm currently working on. It is a Belgian cafe dance organ. Not sure yet when it was made, could have been as early as the 1930's or as late as 1950. This company made no two the same, and had no serial numbers or dates that I've been able to find. Frequently builders will have glued newspaper to the insides of the windways to make them more airtight, but no such luck on this one.

Here's what it looks like fully assembled:

IMG_3679.jpg

And here's what the organ looks like behind the facade with the percussion removed:
    IMG_3706.jpg

Could you drill the 1 1/8" hole with a Forstner bit and then use this https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...frame_bit.html to put the chamfer on the edge using a guide on the router base plate and a pattern taped to the object wood?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Neat-O! I like the Art Nouveau elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Could you drill the 1 1/8" hole with a Forstner bit and then use this https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...frame_bit.html to put the chamfer on the edge using a guide on the router base plate and a pattern taped to the object wood?
    Ken, the outside diameter of that bit is 1 3/8", way too big to fit thru any standard router bushing.

Glad you got it to work. I always wanted to build an organ in my younger days, but I settled on a couple of harpsichords instead; much easier to manage. Maybe I'll make a small Positiv in my (eventual) retirement someday

I have a book from the 1800s that outlines how to build a small organ using paper for the pipes ("Organ Making for Amateurs"), and another book from the same time period called "How to Build Chamber Organ". Rather ambitious title. I often wonder how many instruments were actually built from either book over the years.
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 01-26-2022 at 12:42 PM.

You might try looking at Amana router bits. Amana sells some very tiny bits that have very small bearings, I have one that I use to round over interior edges of door signs. The bearing is tiny and doesn't require much of a lip at all.

Start Here

Blog Entries
    nice job! Drill press def best solution.

Glad the simple solution worked so great! Very interesting project. Did someone bring this to you or is this a project you acquired for your personal enjoyment?

I collect mechanical music machines. I bought the organ at auction a couple months ago. Astonishingly, it has permission to live in the living room once I'm done working on it.

This is a simple task if you know someone with a CNC machine. Or maybe use it as an excuse to buy one for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    You might try looking at Amana router bits. Amana sells some very tiny bits that have very small bearings, I have one that I use to round over interior edges of door signs. The bearing is tiny and doesn't require much of a lip at all.

Start Here
    Wasn't aware of these miniature bits. Thanks for the lead on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollis View Post
    This is a simple task if you know someone with a CNC machine. Or maybe use it as an excuse to buy one for yourself.
    Buying one was absolutely my first thought!