Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to drill angled holes

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    A method I've used is to drill holes straight through a piece of scrap, space the same distance you want the holes for the dowels in your project. Then rip a bevel on the piece of scrap to get the desired angle for the dowels. Bond the scrap to the face of your project piece with double sided tape. Use the holes in the scrap to drill your dowel holes in the project. This method will virtually eliminate any tear out.
    This. Drill straight through a square block. Then cut the end of the block at the angle you want. Then clamp that block into position as a drill guide. Use a brad point or forstener bit so it cuts from the OD and doesnt want to drift off centerline.

Test depth on a scrap and use a depth stop on the drill.

0FF69932-5BA4-4974-A344-E663FA93E70F.jpgSkip the dowels and use something like this. Looks a lot better in my opinion.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Hahr; 01-24-2022 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    0FF69932-5BA4-4974-A344-E663FA93E70F.jpgSkip the dowels and use something like this. Looks a lot better in my opinion.

Dan
    Its a good idea; I think the OP's issue is space. The design of the USA stand is small with a lot of keys. I don't think he would be able to fit anywhere near the same number of hooks on there without going over the gaps in USA. Works well on the key holder you posted though.

He could do simple brass hooks though:

il_794xN.2608400731_dr05.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    Sounds like an excuse to buy a drill press. At least, that's how I rationalize new tool purchases.
    I don't see how anyone could argue with that logic! That is what I would do.

Either tilt the table on the drill press if it has a tilting table or cut a little wedge to put between the work piece and the drill press table.