Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly Table Saw Update

Still believe it goes back to the packing specifications supplied to the factory as part of the contract and holding them to it. It was a constant battle for me inspecting incoming shipments when they came off the container to make sure they hadn't back slid. I did a lot of private branded stuff made by name brand mfg's in China and my general experience is you need to stay on top of it. I had a private brand of motors I set up with specifications and they started deviating on the packing and wanted to sell their name brand so in the beginning they would put their manuals inside the boxes or crates; so we inspected a certain percent of incoming shipments to verify and establish we were not going to let them get away with it. It wouldn't eliminate all damage, but a little more on the front end would certainly eliminate a lot of this and not just for Grizzly. Just my two cents. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sonego View Post
    UPDATE>>>

I've given up on Grizzly. I really like the saw I ordered. I had a chance to really look at the first one that was in my garage for weeks. It was, heavy, beefy, well made, and would have fit my needs.

I spent last night trying to find a comparable saw at that price point. The only thing I could come up with is the Harvey Alpha series. It was within $100 of what I spent. Unfortunately, I put it in my cart last night but had questions. This morning I received an auto-email from Harvey telling me to finish my purchase. BUT the price went up since last night! It just never ends for me.

I think I'm just going to order it before it goes on backorder and HOPE the will honor their price on Monday.

That's a good deal when i was looking the Harvey was about 200 more and the shipping was double what Grizz was charging at the time (last August) which would have made the total cost 500 more than the Grizz.
    I called Harvey to see if they would work with me on shipping but they wouldn't budge. So I ended up with G0899 like you said best bang for the buck. No damage but lost box I received saw but no fence. Took another 10 days before I received the fence Grizz CS did there best. You will be very happy with Harvey there really nice saws.

Grizzly does have some of the lowest prices on shipping heavy machinery. Some manufactures absorb a portion of the cost of shipping, and make it up on volume.

I just got a 12" jointer planer combo from Grizzly over the holidays, and it came mostly unscathed. Just a minor dent on the bottom where they had it fastened to the crate and one bent part that locked the fence in. I didn't get in too much of a twist over that. Grizzly just raised the price $700 a few weeks after I bought it.

My Saw Stop came with no damage and the same on my Supermax 25x2.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A lot of very experienced workers retired early in the last two years and it's showing in the shipping industry big-time.
    At the risk of sounding like I'm ringing the "back in my day" bell I will agree with this in so many areas. There are too many reports of repeated failures on the part of delivery folks. You don't have to watch much You Tube to see this in action. If you guys really hate your job, go do something else ;-)

Last mile (whatever version that takes on) delivery problems are the shipper's issue. I have a a very unscientific opinion that this is regional. My shipping damage stories are minor, few, and far between. I only live a few hours from where the stuff hits the dock or where it comes from originally so this may be unfair. If three parties have to be involved (or multiple vehicle changes) your chances of a mishap jump way up. Given your experience so far I would pick it up at the terminal or refuse it there as opposed to in my driveway . .. again.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    At the risk of sounding like I'm ringing the "back in my day" bell I will agree with this in so many areas. There are too many reports of repeated failures on the part of delivery folks. You don't have to watch much You Tube to see this in action. If you guys really hate your job, go do something else ;-)

Last mile (whatever version that takes on) delivery problems are the shipper's issue. I have a a very unscientific opinion that this is regional. My shipping damage stories are minor, few, and far between. I only live a few hours from where the stuff hits the dock or where it comes from originally so this may be unfair. If three parties have to be involved (or multiple vehicle changes) your chances of a mishap jump way up. Given your experience so far I would pick it up at the terminal or refuse it there as opposed to in my driveway . .. again.
    Ring that bell ! IMO there needs to 2 of em 1-"back in the day" & 2- pre-covid. In the last 2 years I cant count how many times I've come across shipping, customer service BS, travel frustrations that 2 years ago were unheard of. I hope the new "normal" dies a quick death.

The crate the Grizzly saw came on was most likely the wood crate attached to machine in China or Taiwan - Grizzly saves much money by not having to re-crate/re-package. The shaper I got from Grizzly most certainly came that way.

I'm in WA state about 200 miles from Grizzly, never had any freight damage given the close proximity. But when the WA warehouse is out of stock Grizzly won't ship machines to me from their MO warehouse because of freight damage issues.

Wow the Grizzly table saw prices are pretty high. I purchased the 12 inch BEAST G0696X (a monster saw) 8 years ago for $2,195, now it's $3,705 dang! No matter Sawstop is only 30 miles from my house so I purchased the 5hp ICS this go around. Loving it!