Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Table Saw Update

Grizzly Table Saw Update

I’m soooo bummed AGAIN. As I said in a previous post I ordered a Grizzly G0899 table saw over a month ago. I think it’s the best saw out there for that price point.

It took a while to arrive and the boxes were damaged. I accepted it but noted damage and took pics while still on the truck. Long story short, I went to assemble and the cabinet was dented and the tilt shaft was bent and broken. Grizzly instructed me to send it back. The carrier came back and got it almost 2 weeks later. By the time I found the damage, I had already got it off the pallet and onto the mobile base I bought. It was not fun getting it back on the pallet. It took days to get a tracking number in order for me to get a refund so that I could reorder.

Fast forward to now, over a month later. Since reordering, today I received a call from the local transport company telling me that once again, they received my packages damaged. They sent me pics that showed the two boxes looking like they went through a demolition derby. This time I refused the shipment before receiving at my house. So here I am over a month later. It will take another week to get refunded so that I can roll the dice again or find another saw.

Ironically, the new Grizzly catalog came as I was talking to the customer service lady. I told her as much as I like the saw, and Grizzly, they are no longer an option for me.

For the life of me I don’t know why they don’t crate their heavy machines like Laguna does. So now I have to find another saw that I can afford. Meanwhile, my WW projects slip further away.

Sorry to hear that. I work part time at a trucking company and we have been getting more and more damaged freight as the trucking shortages get harder to deal with. We ship mostly local (within 300 miles or so). when we get freight from other companies from around the country
    or even from other countries they have been loaded and unloaded several times. some are bound to get damaged. Hopefully you can find something that works for you. I would maybe suggest going though a local dealer. Sometimes they will get there freight linehaul depending on how much they typically order. This freight is much less likely to be damaged and your dealer will likely help you out if it does active damaged.

I live in WA and about a little over an hour from Grizzly in. Bellingham. We were told a month ago that lots of container ships were stuck out in the ocean off the coast of the Straights of Juan de Fuca, due to COVID restrictions in the ports of Puget Sound. Heavy seas actually tossed some of the container ships & the cargo containers were thrown into the ocean. They had helicopter shots of dozens of containers floating & there was a mad scramble to pull them out of the salt water before they were sunk.

Bet you wouldn't want a saw from one of them!

Sorry for your problems getting a saw. You blame Grizzly but it's not their fault. It's easy to say they need to build a box that will withstand repeated attacks of incompetent fork lift drivers and sometimes drivers. And they could but it would add to the cost significantly. That said you don't have to look to hard to find others who are dealing with the same issues in other machine brands. Even Erik Loza said that they have experienced a significant uptick it damaged goods from shipping woes at Felder. This is happening with all freight and not just machinery. Fork lift forks puncturing boxes secured on pallets and similar damages. It's pretty safe to say the saw wasn't a mess when they handed it off to the freight line. As has been mentioned it's likely passes through numerous terminals by the time it's reached you and your local terminal. Even when things weren't in this state of affairs freight was getting damaged and it's became much more of an issue now. I don't know what the solution is for you unless it's a road trip to Springfield Missouri so you can take personal control of the cargo. Branson is close by and a great place to visit but it's a ghost town until mid March. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Sorry for your problems getting a saw. You blame Grizzly but it's not their fault. It's easy to say they need to build a box that will withstand repeated attacks of incompetent fork lift drivers and sometimes drivers. And they could but it would add to the cost significantly. That said you don't have to look to hard to find others who are dealing with the same issues in other machine brands. Even Erik Loza said that they have experienced a significant uptick it damaged goods from shipping woes at Felder. This is happening with all freight and not just machinery. Fork lift forks puncturing boxes secured on pallets and similar damages. It's pretty safe to say the saw wasn't a mess when they handed it off to the freight line. As has been mentioned it's likely passes through numerous terminals by the time it's reached you and your local terminal. Even when things weren't in this state of affairs freight was getting damaged and it's became much more of an issue now. I don't know what the solution is for you unless it's a road trip to Springfield Missouri so you can take personal control of the cargo. Branson is close by and a great place to visit but it's a ghost town until mid March. Good luck in whatever you decide.
    The maybe silver lining is that the tent sales could be gold mines. Too bad that there is no longer a tent sale east of the Mississippi.

No opinion here (except to say that this is such a bummer for the OP) and add to anyone else: If at all possible, arrange to pick up your crate at the LOCAL FREIGHT TERMINAL. Our experience has been that the damage is occurring in the leg between the local freight terminal and the customer's address. It will cost you a bit more and require more planning to pick up a machine at your local dock but almost totally mitigates the freight damage issue.

This being said, I have not seen as much freight damage lately as say, 6-8 months ago. Maybe this is only the carriers serving my territory here in TX. Or perhaps the carriers finally have some solid drivers back on their rosters. Not sure. Good luck to the OP.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sonego View Post
    For the life of me I don’t know why they don’t crate their heavy machines like Laguna does. So now I have to find another saw that I can afford. Meanwhile, my WW projects slip further away.
    Sorry for your continued shipping problems I don't know how much it costs to crate the unit over boxing it, but I'm sure cost is the factor. Grizzly is competing on cost so those add up. I suspect it doesn't cost Grizzly anything when there is shipping damage as I'm sure the shipper pays. Overall, if it was a net loss, I'm sure they would change it. For what its worth, all of my Grizzly tools always arrived in pristine condition. That said, they were both crated, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    No opinion here (except to say that this is such a bummer for the OP) and add to anyone else: If at all possible, arrange to pick up your crate at the LOCAL FREIGHT TERMINAL. Our experience has been that the damage is occurring in the leg between the local freight terminal and the customer's address. It will cost you a bit more and require more planning to pick up a machine at your local dock but almost totally mitigates the freight damage issue.

This being said, I have not seen as much freight damage lately as say, 6-8 months ago. Maybe this is only the carriers serving my territory here in TX. Or perhaps the carriers finally have some solid drivers back on their rosters. Not sure. Good luck to the OP.

Erik
    It was the local freight that called me to let me know it was damaged upon arrival. They sent me pics of the damage. They suggested I refuse the shipment. I did.

A lot of very experienced workers retired early in the last two years and it's showing in the shipping industry big-time. Material handling is a particular skill and when the most experienced folks are no longer available, there's a lot of "learning on the job". That combined with increased work loads makes for a bigger risk of damage. 'Sad you had two machines come though buggered but glad that the second could go back before you even received it. I hope you can find a saw that meets your needs!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I never said it was Grizzly's fault. I like them and their products. I just can't seem to get them here safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A lot of very experienced workers retired early in the last two years and it's showing in the shipping industry big-time. Material handling is a particular skill and when the most experienced folks are no longer available, there's a lot of "learning on the job". That combined with increased work loads makes for a bigger risk of damage. 'Sad you had two machines come though buggered but glad that the second could go back before you even received it. I hope you can find a saw that meets your needs!
    Funny part is the CS lady tried to tell me that they have a "very low damage rate". Of course I replied "from here, it looks like a 100% damage rate".

(Grizzly's packaging is shoddy, and they use UPS freight, who are notorious for damaging goods.)

I have received two table saws from Harvey, and even though they were packaged in cardboard, they both arrived without damage.
    Interesting because my experience has been that UPS freight isn't any worse than any other freight company. We received a lot of freight at my old job and while we didn't ship a lot of fragile items they were no worse than anyone else. Sounds like it was more luck than anything else that the Harvey saws. It's not just Grizzly either. There is a post about either a Powermatic or Jet bandsaw I forget which now arriving damaged in the last few weeks. They all use minimal crating and it wasn't a huge problem until recently. My boss always said when we were talking about "idiot" proofing machines they will just make better idiots. Maybe it's making more incompetent fork truck and truck drivers now...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-22-2022 at 10:05 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

UPDATE>>>

I've given up on Grizzly. I really like the saw I ordered. I had a chance to really look at the first one that was in my garage for weeks. It was, heavy, beefy, well made, and would have fit my needs.

I spent last night trying to find a comparable saw at that price point. The only thing I could come up with is the Harvey Alpha series. It was within $100 of what I spent. Unfortunately, I put it in my cart last night but had questions. This morning I received an auto-email from Harvey telling me to finish my purchase. BUT the price went up since last night! It just never ends for me.

I think I'm just going to order it before it goes on backorder and HOPE the will honor their price on Monday.

Some folks have had good luck actually calling Harvey relative to pricing...it would be worth a try I think!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I know it's a higher price point so that may be a deal killer but if I'm seeing your location correctly there are numerous dealers for Shop Fox in your area. The 1888 is the same model in Shop Fox. Home Depot is also one. When it popped up on my feed when I did a search it said they had up to "54" available to ship to store. Just a different line of thinking. Hope you get something soon.