Thread: Grizzly 2 HP G0548Z Dust Collector

Grizzly 2 HP G0548Z Dust Collector

Hi, I have a Grizzly 2HP dust collector. Not sure about the model number but it looks just like a G0548Z except it has cloth bags instead of the canister. I'm in need of a new on/off switch. It has the push button style switch instead of the paddle switch. It's wired 220 volts single phase. The Grizzly parts list don't show the push button switch just the paddle switch. Does anyone have a part number or know of a source? I've been using a remote switch setup on it which means I was leaving the switch on all the time and switching it on and off with the remote switch. Would this affect the longevity on the push button switch or did it just wear out. Not sure as to the age of the collector as I bought it used. I've attached a picture of the switch and the remote control that I made. Thanks, Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

What is the problem with the current switch? Those are pretty simple and can sometimes be fixed. If you take it apart and clean up the contact points with some sandpaper alot of times that is all that is wrong with those switches. If you do need to replace it a paddle switch will work and shouldn't be hard at all to install. If you are switching externally I would think the switch on the machine would last longer. Most of the damage comes from arcing while breaking the current flow or just worn out detents or other mechanical parts from too many cycles.

Check the g1029. It’s the older 2 bag 2 hp with push button on/ off. Here’s the parts break down
    https://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g1029_pl.pdf
    Gary

It had been tripping the breaker so I replaced the breaker and when I plugged it in and stated it threw sparks out of the switch box and tripped the new breaker. I wasn't using the remote setup either. I'll open it up tomorrow and check the contacts. An after market replacement is less than $15. So I have several options. Jim

An update. I swapped the outlets wiring that I normally used for the dust collector (220 volt) to the breaker that didn't trip when the dust collector was turned on. Turned it on and it started up. Decided to check the input voltage with my Wiggy. Showed 220 volts coming in. Turned on the dust collector and it showed 110 volts on the motor side and the motor is set up for 220 volts. I'm thinking that I have a bad switch but then I'm not that sharp on motors or switches. Jim

There is a contact for each leg one of them is probably not making sufficient contact. Take apart the switch and clean the contacts with sandpaper.

Each leg of 220v is 120v if I remember correctly. So black or white to ground should read 120v. Black to white should read 220v.

You probably know this but just checking.

I've replaced a few 220 switches with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work pretty good and are cheap.

Well I pulled the switch and took it to the local electric motor shop I use. Switch checked ok. The motor goes in tomorrow to get checked. I hate electrical problems. They tend to drive one up the wall. Jim

Well now I know what's wrong with the motor. Fried the windings. Just ordered a new motor from Grizzly. Wasn't terribly expensive. $242 + shipping UPS $25. I also ordered 2 M6X1.0 X 40mm LH trd bolts put it back on with so I don't have to drive the impeller on. Given the size of the bolts compared to the motor they were right pricey. McMasters-Carr wanted $22 each + shipping. Found them on WallyWorld's site 2 for $7.25. Jim