Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replacing Shop Lighting

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Code question:

If daisy chaining lights across the ceiling, that means running the cords from one to the next across the ceiling (one light plugs into the next). Why isnt this a code violation? I thought any exposed electrical wires in a garage had to be in conduit?

(disclaimer: I daisy chained my lights and simply tacked the wires to the drywall with supplied staples - but that doesn't mean it meets code).
    It's not exposed building wiring...it's cords attached to an "device" and they are not hard-wired. On the "device" side of an outlet, cords are a normal thing. The limit to four units for the type you mention is because the sum of the unit's amperage cannot exceed a particular amount for the components and cords that are attached, tested and certified for the unit. (UL/CA)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's not exposed building wiring...it's cords attached to an "device" and they are not hard-wired. On the "device" side of an outlet, cords are a normal thing. The limit to four units for the type you mention is because the sum of the unit's amperage cannot exceed a particular amount for the components and cords that are attached, tested and certified for the unit. (UL/CA)
    That's why I went with the lights I did. 44 "shoplights" or 10 high bays. It's been 2 years and I'm still very pleased with them.

I didn't like the thought of throwing away my old 8' fixtures in my garage shop. I did what several others did: bypassed the ballast and installed a kit with new tombstones that swaps each 8' florescent for 2 x 4' LEDs. The conversion kit was about $15 and the type B LED tubes were about $7 apiece, so it was probably a wash versus buying new 4' hanging LED shoplights. But throwing away something that's still usable, re-purposeable, or repairable just rubs me the wrong way, so I felt good about it. And the conversion has held up better than the Honeywell 4' LED shop lights I bought at the same time - two of the four Honeywells have failed

Heck, after the experience with the Honeywells, I went out and bought some old 4' florescent shop lights at a garage sale and did the ballast bypass conversion on them because doing the ballast bypass was a lot less of a PITA than re-hanging the Honeywells.

Paul, I'm very supportive of the path you took there, given you had quality fixtures and they were economically convertible to LED. For folks who are moving to LED in existing situations where their fixtures are usable like yours...great thing! For folks who have older stuff that is "less worthy", it may be better to recycle the metal and get new, modern fixtures, however. In my old shop, I did a combination of conversion (although using direct replacement LED tubes for the few old T12 fixtures that were in good condition) and new fixtures. When I moved here, all of the LED fixtures came with me and are up in the temporary shop. They will stay there "permanently" and when I get a new shop building up, all new lighting appropriate to the space will go up. The type of building and actual ceiling height will come into play there.
    --

I got all my 23 lights switched to LED. It only take few minutes to rewire and no more noise lights. I always shop on EBAY first.
    Jaromir

Do they still make led tube replacements where some are powered from both ends and some are powered from one end only? Best mark the fixture for when a tube needs replacing.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...$180 for 10 of them isn't a horrible deal at all!
    Holy cow! I guess I've been living under a rock. Those prices are a lot lower than I would have guessed. Think it might be time to augment the lighting in my basement shop,,, again. I put up 2 HD 4' 5000k 1100lm LEDs over my bench area and 1 more over my TS and was shocked at how much easier it was to work.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

HD sells a two pack of direct wire bulbs for T-12/T-8 fixtures for $20. Converting all my fixtures (house, rental and shop) slowly but surely. The HF hanging LED is the brightest light of the whole bunch. Local power provider, thru Habitat Restore, sells shop lights for as little as a buck. Currently they have some with reflectors for $3.99.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Holy cow! I guess I've been living under a rock. Those prices are a lot lower than I would have guessed. Think it might be time to augment the lighting in my basement shop,,, again. I put up 2 HD 4' 5000k 1100lm LEDs over my bench area and 1 more over my TS and was shocked at how much easier it was to work.
    Yea, prices have really come down on all kinds of LED lighting. That's why I'll likely use those instead of buying more of the Feit fixtures from Costco at this point when I put up the new shop. The format is friendlier for that "all new" project, too.
    --

Havn’t read this whole thread, but I bought barrina too. Replaced 4 8 foot fluorescent bulbs, so much better. I got a set of 4000k and a set of 5000k and mixed them together to get good temp. Two of these sets, $100 total, replaced 4 8 footers. I liked them so much I bought double what I needed just in case they go out and I can’t find replacements.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01...b_b_asin_title
    Last edited by Jason Evans; 01-30-2022 at 2:21 PM.

11. I have 36 Daylight 4' bulbs in my 3 car shop. They have begun to burn out so I was going to replace them with 4' LED bulbs. Then last weekend I saw a 2x2 "high bay" LED light in HD, it was like a star gone super nova.