Thread: Grizzly Wood Lathe.

Grizzly Wood Lathe.

I am trying to help a friend who just got into turning. He has a Grizzly G1067z 14"x40" variable speed wood lathe. However the motor is bad and the replacement from Grizzly is discontinued. I contacted Grizzly and they were somewhat helpful although they basically said figure it out yourself. The motor was 1/2HP 120v with a 5/8" shaft. I can not determine what exact mounting plate it will need. Any help or aftermarket options would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

What troubleshooting did he do to analyze the entire motor failed? That is super unusual, especially in a lathe. I'd suggest it's the start capacitor or a switch that is plugged full of dust. To figure out the replacement motor you need to measure the bolt pattern on the mount, the motor speed, and maybe the distance from the center of the shaft to the bottom of the base.

It is likely 16mm and not 5/8. I've got a motor from my Delta 1440 16mm that might fit his lathe depending on the mounting bracket.

The shaft on the Delta motor is 16mm IIRC and has a spiral cut in the shaft to encourage the two halves of the reaves pulleys back together. Post some pics so we can see if my spare motor (or maybe a clone from HF) might fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    What troubleshooting did he do to analyze the entire motor failed? That is super unusual, especially in a lathe. I'd suggest it's the start capacitor or a switch that is plugged full of dust. To figure out the replacement motor you need to measure the bolt pattern on the mount, the motor speed, and maybe the distance from the center of the shaft to the bottom of the base.

Without seeing the machine I tend to agree, It's more common that the start capacitor went bad before the motor. I replaced one on my old grizzly years ago and it was cheap and easy.
    good luck

Well, you could take the motor off and take it to a local repair shop and they could tell you what is wrong. Most likely, you can replace the motor locally as well, It should have all the specs on it. A 1/2 hp motor is pretty little for turning anything other than spindles. This might be a good time to get a 1 hp motor. If by 'variable speed' you have one of the Reeves Drive machines, most of those tend to need working on from time to time. I wouldn't want one myself, but they do work.

robo hippy

I will try to get some pictures of the mounts. Unfortunately when my friend bought the lathe it did not have a motor. Currently it is jerry-rigged with a wrong motor and direct belt drive. However the motor is too long and over the bed swing is reduced, and it has one speed which is too high for bowl turning.

I got some pictures. This is the current motor. I can give you some dimensions if you need them.PXL_20220122_003708514.jpgPXL_20220122_003721097.jpg

I'm not sure if this will help you but the frame or fr on the tag of the is what determines the mounting type and dimensions of the mounting holes.

The lathe mount is 4 holes that in a square 4 1/2" high and 1 1/4" wide. And the motor can not stick out past the bracket too far on the back side.

If you can copy/paste the pic into your message rather than adding an attachment, I might be able to see if what I have will work for you.

My motor is a c-face with an adapter plate bolted to it IIRC.

Does this work?

There's a new1hp Griz motor for sale on New Hampshire Craigslist. Looks like it may fit. I have no knowledge of the seller, just posting the info.

00T0T_bMHQ5hLGy4Iz_0uY0hM_1200x900.jpg

Gary
    I've only had one...in dog beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Pennington View Post
    There's a new1hp Griz motor for sale on New Hampshire Craigslist. Looks like it may fit. I have no knowledge of the seller, just posting the info.

00T0T_bMHQ5hLGy4Iz_0uY0hM_1200x900.jpg

Gary
    I cannot view what you posted since my account says I cannot view pictures

Quote Originally Posted by kirk Witmer View Post
    I cannot view what you posted since my account says I cannot view pictures
    I don't remember all the protocols for this forum but pretty sure posting CL links are a no-no. You can search for grizzly in N.Hampshire CL/Tools or send me an email at gary(at)adifferenteye.com, I'll shoot the info to you. Good luck,

Gary
    I've only had one...in dog beers.