Thread: Small Wall Shelf MCM-ish

Small Wall Shelf MCM-ish

Hi all,

My son plays warhammer, which involves lots of models and paints. He asked for a small shelf to go above his desk to make some more room. I had some scraps of hemlock from doing the window trim in the house, so decided to do a small shelf with two dividers and a couple sliding doors. The carcass is mitered dovetails to hide the grooves for the doors on the top and bottom:

IMG_1711.jpg

I chopped, sawed and router planed the grooves:

IMG_1785.jpgIMG_1786.jpg

Here's the dry-fitted carcass:
    IMG_1819.jpg

More to come...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

The shelf will be mounted with french cleats hidden in the two compartments. I let them in before assembly, using a clamp in an attempt to keep the short bit from blowing out while chiseling.

IMG_1813.jpg
    IMG_1814.jpg
    IMG_1824.jpg

Somehow, I got mixed up with the marking on the dovetails and one side ended up switched end-to-end, resulting in less than perfect results. Sigh. But not too bad in the end.

IMG_1820.jpgIMG_1822.jpg

The middle will be an open shelf and sides have panels made from some scrap, rabbeted to fit the upper and lower grooves. The lower groove is a set depth and the upper groove is deeper in the middle to accept the panels as they are slipped in from the front.

IMG_1826.jpgIMG_1827.jpg

Will get some finished photos up in a couple days. So far, the project's been a good reminder that even really nice softwoods are harder than hardwoods!

Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra

Chris,
    This is gorgeous. Sometimes simplicity in design really makes a piece standout. At least that is my opinion. Great joinery! Jack

Thanks Jack. Good wood helps too
    --Yogi Berra

MCM? 1900? Luxury leather bags?
    Nice cabinet!
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 01-20-2022 at 8:38 PM.

Nicely done Charles. What really surprises me is the fact that you found quarter sawn Hemlock. Around here it is only found as dimensional lumber and full of knots. I've never seen it in any of our regular hardwood lumberyards.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Kevin, LOL- mid century modern

Dave, yes, it was a lucky (but still expensive) find for 'vg hemlock' at my local lumber yard for all the window trim. I have suspicions the boards are vg fir that were misstocked. Either way, delightful, if a bit frustrating to work (dents if you look at it and crumbly when chiseling if not wicked sharp).
    --Yogi Berra

The last vg fir I have used had very course grain. The vg hemlock is quite fine grained. I prefer the hemlock grain, but the fir is a little more "golden", and a lot more expensive.

Rick

Thanks for all the replies. Here's the installed and populated shelf. I surprised him with the install and was told I messed up his paint organization scheme (the horror!). He sorted it out in by the second photo...

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

And here's one of the paint jobs he does, in case your kids don't have you steeped in warhammer like in my house

IMG_0581.jpg

He is quite happy with it, which makes me happy.

Best,
    Chris
    Last edited by Christopher Charles; 01-26-2022 at 3:03 PM.
    --Yogi Berra

Your son has talent, and good eyes. It will be interesting to see where it takes him. Will he outgrow it, make it a career or a lifelong hobby?

Blog Entries
    Love the shelf / cabinet Chris. Looks like it was a pleasure to build and the sliding door panels really give it some pop. You built a shelf and a memory for you both . . . win-win.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks gentlemen. Tom, yes, I miss the eyes of youth! And he does have a good sense of color. I am curious where it takes him; he has been at it much longer than I expected (he's a senior in high school and started when he was 10...).
    --Yogi Berra