Thread: Cherry Galls Ever turn any?

Cherry Galls Ever turn any?

I have a couple cherry galls here and I'm wondering if they will be good for turning? Are the insides similar to burls of mostly hollow? Anyone have any experience with them?
    Thanks
    Denny

Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

I saw your post on AAW forum and there seems to be some nomenclature issues there. What do you call a gall? Are you asking about a burl, an over growth of a broken off limb, or the gall mention there that is an insect growth?

A gall (at least on a cherry) is a growth that looks similar to a burl but, usually grows up higher on the stem of the tree.
    Denny

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    I cored and turned a huge madrone gall and it was, indeed, rather decayed in the center. (I repaired the voids with sawdust and epoxy.) In the end, I had four nice bowls with wormhole-like voids throughout. My thought is to chuck up the cherry and go for it.

My general impression is that galls are caused by disease, while burls are an abnormal growth. I plan to follow this discussion closely.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Nebgen View Post
    A gall (at least on a cherry) is a growth that looks similar to a burl but, usually grows up higher on the stem of the tree.
    https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildl...erry-gall-wasp

My understanding of a gall is a small roundish protruberence on the surface or underside of a leaf surrounding an insect larva.

If a branch of a tree is cut off properly, next to but leaving the branch bark collar, over time the cells in the collar will grow over the branch stub, creating a "bump" on the surface of the tree looking like a small burl. Cut one off flush with the surface of the tree and you are likely to find the stub of that branch. I have one from a cherry tree log that was given me when the tree had to be dropped. After cutting it off flush with the surrounding surface of the tree, laying the sawn surface on the bandsaw table and cutting it in half, it is a great way to show people how the branch bark collar can grow over cut branches.

Galls that form on the branches are caused by bacteria. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...-tree-gall.htm

Here is the first cherry Gall

I turned this small cherry gall and added resin to fill in some low spots in the gall. Just made a small vase. Came out really nice though, I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Denny