Thread: Vacuum Pump Filter

Vacuum Pump Filter

I'm almost finished putting together my vacuum pump build but haven't decided whether to install a couple of auxiliary filters or rely on the internal ones inside of the Gast pump. Most of the builds I've seen on the forum include the additional filters but can't figure out why as the internal ones seem robust enough. Any comments or suggestions?

Shown below is the partially complete setup that I put together. The design is based on another forum member's build.

Projects 002.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 01-19-2022 at 6:11 PM.

I have a couple of Gast pumps, 522s I believe, and they both have external felt filters that look like these internal ones https://www.wholesalesepticsupply.co...end-cap-filter. I have never felt the need for anything else but I could be missing something.

I would use an external filter in addition to the Gast built in filter. An automotive fuel filter can be picked up at any auto store for well under $10. Get one with a clear case and you can see when it needs replacing. Here is one example.

I used this one from NAPA (as recommended by Frugal vacuum pump)

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SFI23003

cheap, easily available

I have an auto fuel filter attached to my bleed valve.

I picked up a couple of filters from NAPA, almost the same as recommended above. I put one on each side of the brass cross connected with a short piece of tubing. I can't see that it would hurt.

I suspect that the external filter will be easier to clean and cheaper to replace that the internal one. I got a universal one from AutoZone. A clear filter will show you when it is starting to fill up (assuming the you "plumb" it right).

The pics below show the almost final plumbing with the two auxiliary filters. They seem redundant but in this environment may be helpful. I may rearrange things and use the bracket that Oneway sells to have the gauge and bleed valve more accessible.

Projects 001.jpgProjects 002.jpg

When I setup my vacuum system - moved to a new lathe nearly a decade ago - I setup all the controls so they were accessible without moving from my normal turning position, yet easily moved out of the way when not being used. Its on a magnetic base and gets moved down to a rear leg when not used. The pump sits in a filtered enclosure under my grinder cart/drawers that sits close to the lathe. The connection between the pump and the controls is a quick-release. The electrical is controlled by a switch box that sits just under the bed ways near the headstock. The whole thing is moved in position and ready in less than a minute.
    48D893DE-33B7-4711-94D1-9EB950AA5E9D.jpg

Blog Entries
    If you have a good external filter you do not have to change your oil as often.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The Gast pumps discussed in this thread are dry vane oil less pumps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Rutherford View Post
    The Gast pumps discussed in this thread are dry vane oil less pumps.
    Thanks for the correction. Would that type of pump benefit even more from staying clean?

I think any type of vacuum pump benefits when any source of wood dust could be ingested.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Vac pumps that use oil are a concern - because eventually, you will have oil affect your finish on a piece. Thus - the preference for carbon vane or wobble piston designs. NO oil....no problem.