Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hand Plane Cabinet Hinges?

Speaking of glass doors on a tool cabinet. I would never use glass since the thought of striking a tool or board against glass is scary. What I did instead was to insert a clear lexan panel in one tool cabinet. Lexan is the way to go as it is as clear as glass, is virtually unbreakable and meets the criteria of having the contents of the tool cabinet visible. Norman

ToolCabinet-ePub.jpg

Blog Entries
    Butt hinges with finials are nice. I would use the narrow gap above the drawers as you show plus I would keep all the additional irons and such that come along with hand planes there. Mine currently hang from a peg in plastic cases but I would rather they lay down in a gap like you have. Nice job on the cabinet BTW .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I was raised with an oiled rag
    Yeah, oil isn't the best protector, try waxed. Not sure whether it will handle salt, it's a different chemical reaction. But oil creates a film that's easily damaged. Also, most oils contain some amount of water and corrosive agents. Just look inside an old oil can, it's all rusted.

I have mentioned oil just as a simple and available dissolver for paraffin, since regular polishing wax might be too hard to get on a rag. People used to mix it with turps or kerosine to make it soft, almost like cream consistency. That also works. Once a set of chisels were left in a rain - had to drive away, quickly threw tools into a tote and it rained. Got some flash rust, but one could tell where it was waxed and where wasn't.

But I guess if you live on a shore, it might be not enough. Also, if you grab your tools at the end of the day to wax them - it's not too much for to just put them into any sort of a box. Mine are on the walls and in open holders, it's already a habit and I use these rags-in-a can during actual work, e.g. mortising or planing. So there's that
    Last edited by Jack Dover; 01-27-2022 at 2:02 PM.

Looks like you could fit another block plane in if you moved the dividers. Those could be installed with hot melt glue for easy respacing.