Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on extra planer

advice on extra planer

I restored a PM 15HH planer a couple years ago, last year I took delivery of a Hammer A341 so the PM is gathering dust in the corner. The reason I would keep it is I will be building a cabin at some point in the next year or two and will want a second smaller shop so it would be nice to start with it.

Any advice on if it make sense to sell now with all the supply chain delays and rebuy later? I don't really need the money but its probably at the height of its value. And it takes up some valuable shop space.

Long term in the cabin I'll probably want a planer, jointer, bandsaw, lathe. Lots of opportunity to mill some lumber.

Thomas unfortunately this is a decision only you can make. Problem with selling now is rebuying later at higher prices. Problem with keeping is it takes up space. Which is a bigger problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Thomas unfortunately this is a decision only you can make. Problem with selling now is rebuying later at higher prices. Problem with keeping is it takes up space. Which is a bigger problem ?
    I agree you should think of how long you need to hang on to it before needing it vs the higher cost to buy new in the future. I posted a thread on buy new now or wait and it seems pretty much everyone was thinking prices are likely to keep going up.

Maybe a follow up question is if I do decide to keep how often should I run it? Its not a big deal to keep it from rusting, its in a temp/humidity controlled shop.

Would the cabin build site be able to support a 240v tool? That may be part of your decision. A portable thickness planer would be easier to manage on a job site with any kind of power challenges. That's probably the route I would take, especially since you can likely get really good money for the 15" planer in the present marketplace.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wouldn't think you need to run it very often especially in a climate controlled environment. Maybe just fire it up for a few minutes ever month or 2. That will at least help from getting flat spots on the belts and get the oil in the gear box moving, but probably not really that nessicary.

Jim makes some good points.

As regards the planer you have, I bought the same planer new, 3 years ago for $2999.95. They are now going for $4,300 plus shipping.
    Regards,

Kris

Assuming you can power it at your new cabin, keep it. Who knows what the machinery market will be in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Assuming you can power it at your new cabin, keep it. Who knows what the machinery market will be in the future.
    I agree the future machinery market ? Who’s going to need a machine in metaverse. Augmented reality
    Aj

Two complete wood shops? No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    I restored a PM 15HH planer a couple years ago, last year I took delivery of a Hammer A341 so the PM is gathering dust in the corner. The reason I would keep it is I will be building a cabin at some point in the next year or two and will want a second smaller shop so it would be nice to start with it.

Any advice on if it make sense to sell now with all the supply chain delays and rebuy later? I don't really need the money but its probably at the height of its value. And it takes up some valuable shop space.

Long term in the cabin I'll probably want a planer, jointer, bandsaw, lathe. Lots of opportunity to mill some lumber.

If I understand this correctly, your plan is to have a second shop for woodworking at you new cabin.. In that case I would keep the planer.

If your plan is to use the planer for the construction of the cabin, I would probably sell it and get a jobsite planer. While working on my cottage renovation I used my portable planer a few times on site, but mainly did my planing at home and transported the material to the cottage.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post

Considering the current lumber market, inflation, etc. you might factor in how realistic it is that you start the cabin in a year or two?

Since your A341 has a planer, are you wanting to keep the PM15HH just so you can keep it at the jobsite while keeping your Ad41 in your current shop?

Reflecting on Jim's comment regarding a lunchbox planer, which aspects of building the cabinet are you going to use the planer for?

I would list it at an extremely strong price and see if you get any bites. The equivalent of "make me move" listing on zillow.

Ask yourself what's the most important thing in your shop for the next 18-24 months.

If it's shop space, then I'd say list it and see if you can get the most money for it in today's market.

In 24 months, who knows what the market and world looks like? They supply chains may be cranking out stuff at a higher rate and prices could come down. Or maybe not. Either way if you don't really need the money to put towards other things, it's not that important.

I would not be building the cabin myself. Log prices actually aren't bad right now but its all the finishes. I'm at least starting the planning process. I already own the land so site plan and all that can be done. But I definitely will be making some of the furniture for inside and the large dining table I have planned really needs to be built in place. Basically this would be the 3rd bay of a 3 car garage. Humidity is crazy low up there so waxing everything between visits will be fine. Mice are probably the biggest worry long term.

I don't want two complete shops, but I don't want to lug large stationary machines back and forth. I'm primarily a hand tool guy so I'd tote those and clamps back and forth. That will motivate me to build the Anarchists Tool Chest for transport, don't really need it in the shop right now.

I took the infeed/outfeed tables off and it takes up about 7 square feet of space. At this point I'm leaning toward to just holding on to it. In this crazy world I guess its an appreciating asset?