Thread: What to build with Teak

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What to build with Teak

I've got about 25bf of teak left over from a job (outdoor kitchen next to a 75' yacht). 1" thick, 4" wide boards, 8-9' long. This stuff was $28 a bf. It was thick enough that I was able to resaw to make door and drawer panels, which is why I have extra. So now I have to come up with something worthy to build out of it. Any ideas?
    Harmony is the strength and support of all institutions, especially this of ours.

Outdoor furniture: a reading chair and a side table; a dining table; a lounge chair.

Little tiny scraps make fabulous soap dishes, nominal 3x4x1 inch. Cut some saw kerfs on both faces to help grip the soap, then round off the corners with rasp or sandpaper. I have four of them in the house. Don't be afraid to squirrel some of that away for later, hard to come by around here.

Seems the perfect size to build yourself an Adirondack chair so you can relax! The four I built from white cedar over 30 years ago are still good! They live outdoors. Yours would be heavier of course!

I used my last bit of teak for a drying rack for the glass ware in a pharmacy compounding room.
    4BEC8B6E-530C-4789-856B-DBE5B7461CAA.jpg
    Sorry it’s sideways! Happens a lot around here!
    Another piece like that left over? Let me know!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Adirondack chair is the most logical. I bought Schwarz's Stick Chair book a while back and somehow the box got put up without being opened. I'm taking it as a sign that I found it yesterday. Unless I talk myself out of trying to glue up the seat on this stuff, I think that's the direction I'll go. Or an Adirondack chair. Or a cool table......
    Harmony is the strength and support of all institutions, especially this of ours.

Lee Valley has a slightly different chair plan called Kitchissippi Chair. Designed to be easier to exit. Price is $16.50.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

7. Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Lee Valley has a slightly different chair plan called Kitchissippi Chair. Designed to be easier to exit. Price is $16.50.
    I need a small bench for inside a tile shower I am building....??????