Thread: elongated holes for countersunk heads

elongated holes for countersunk heads

I know this has been covered before, but does anyone have advice to help make neat elongated screw holes for a cherry chest of drawers.
    I have a whole series of runners and kickers that that need to be attached to the sides (15" wide) and each runner is 2 1/2 wide.
    I have tried to drill the two ends of the slots and then rock the bit to clear out the inner slots. Then using a countersink to elongate the top so that the screw head moves as well. Not only is this a ton of work, but it usually looks like something a rat gnawed when i do it. It should be simple and I can figure something out, but I am just wondering what you folks do.
    thanks,

Stevo

They make router bits just for that use. Flat bottom or angled.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I'm with Rick. You can use two different bits if you don't have the appropriate single bit for the job. Route your initial hole or groove with a straight bit. Then follow with a v-groove bit to the desired depth. Easy. Best to use a router table for this operation with a fence, but can be done by hand-held with a straight-edge. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    They make router bits just for that use. Flat bottom or angled.
    Yes they do, I have one I think I got from Woodcraft a while back for just that purpose.

Any one have a picture of what he is trying to do? I don't understand what he is trying to do and I want to learn.

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Any one have a picture of what he is trying to do? I don't understand what he is trying to do and I want to learn.

Thanks
    This is a picture of it I believe:

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...screw_slot.htm

and another brand for the bits:

https://www.amanatool.com/products/r...uter-bits.html
    Chris

George, the reason he is doing it is that the runner grain direction is going cross grain to the side of the chest. The difference in expansion from moisture will make the side possibly warp or the runner to crack. The slot allows movement of the side without doing damage.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but if you have a domino, it makes perfect slots for this, and if you use a small cutter first and then a slightly larger one with a shallow depth of cut, you get the counterbore easily too.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Ed and Folks,ei
    You are correct that the runners are going front to back across the inside of the chest sides where the grain runs top to bottom.
    All of the above suggestions are great to solve the neatness problem, but the hole has to go horizontally through 2 1/2 inches of runner. I think i will just have to use drills through the piece and router bit on the top.
    Thanks everyone.
    Stevo

I use the Domino for this kind of thing.

Thanks Christian and Ed. I understand what Steve is doing, how to do it and why.

This site has awesome knowledgeable members.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.