Thread: Request advice on stain color to use on maple boards with dark and light areas

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Request advice on stain color to use on maple boards with dark and light areas

I’m posting this on behalf of a friend who can’t seem to get signed up for this forum. You folks are my best resource for finishing questions, so I / we are counting on you!

She has bought two large and wide maple boards. She wants to build 2 console tables with pin legs and stain the wood in the lightest color, just to bring up the beauty of the variegation and the grain.

Pictured also is a dining table she is already using; she would like the stain for the new pieces to coordinate. The fact that the wood is two different colors may affect the stain choice. It stumps me. I don't know what to suggest with that dark area of heartwood that comprises most of the board.

She has bought Enduro var urethane for the top coat, as was recommended by the place where she bought the wood. I have not used that myself, so don't know how it would affect any stain chosen.

Thanks for your suggestions!