Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigsaw puzzles

Blog Entries

Jigsaw puzzles

My sister in law does puzzles all the time, so my wife decided to try one. It seemed pretty boring to me. But when my wife got stuck on her puzzle I tried to help her. Guess who’s now doing puzzles ?
    Here’s the latest one I did, 500 pieces , called Grampa’s Workshop
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dennis

Grampa's Workshop on Grampa's table???

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    My sister in law does puzzles all the time, so my wife decided to try one. It seemed pretty boring to me. But when my wife got stuck on her puzzle I tried to help her. Guess who’s now doing puzzles ?
    Here’s the latest one I did, 500 pieces , called Grampa’s Workshop
    Do you have snow? People seem to be doing more puzzles the more it snows! My oldest son in SC got 6" the other day, did a 1000 piece then started on a 2000 piece puzzle. Yikes.

I frequently do jigsaw puzzles on my laptop while resting in the afternoon. It keeps me occupied and doesn't make me think too hard. I prefer Crosswords and Sudokus earlier in the day when my mind still works!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Grampa's Workshop on Grampa's table???

Bruce
    Yes, I did make that table
    Dennis

We do 1,000 piece puzzles during the winter. I bought my wife a 1,500 piece, but she hasn't cracked it open yet.

As a long time observer of my wife’s (and younger family) mania on doing jigsaw puzzles, I can only warn that the. DOING of the puzzle is wonderful, but the storage and inability to break it down and/or pass it along is the curse. LOL!
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

My wife and I enjoy doing puzzles, and it ramped up with the pandemic. My wife does most of them; I do a bit when I feel like it. We mostly pick puzzles that depict scenes from places we've traveled to, and also have done ones of the local sports stadiums since my wife is a big sports fan.

When they are done, I coat them with modge podge and then mount them to foamboard. Then we frame them and hang them in our basement rec room. I'm about 5 or 6 puzzles behind in the mounting process, however.

Quality of the puzzles really varies with brand, but we've found the Ravensburger puzzles to be uniformly great quality, and they have a lot of puzzles that fit into our theme.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

My wife loves puzzles. She will ask if I want to help, then the minute I touch a piece she says, "I've organized those pieces so don't mess them up". What to help? Probably not. Her dad used to mount finished puzzles on Masonite and hang them like pictures. We haven't gone there yet thankfully.

Puzzles at the beach house

I just remembered something my wife taught me that helps when doing puzzles. She takes a photo with her phone of the picture on the box. Then when searching for the spot where a piece might go she zooms in and scrolls around the picture on the screen. I thought that was a great idea!

Most years our sons and families join us for a week at the beach and puzzles are worked every time. The harder the puzzle the better. With 7 or more people working on a puzzle at various times we can usually finish several large puzzles. We often bring new puzzles and the rental houses usually have some. This 1000 piece one was a favorite last trip:

8AA3D3A1-AC43-4CC2-82F6-4AADC45E6220.jpg

We often do puzzles during the winter. My wife just opened a new one this evening. It’s good fun but we never save them. Once we finish we tear it down and pass it on to a friend or Goodwill.

I enjoy doing Lee Valley puzzles. They do a tool and garden one each year.
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...1?item=50K1044
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Here's one my brother gifted to me. 1,000 pieces, 1/2" square.
    We started it last year, then decided we weren't up to the challenge. We'll give it another go sometime.

puzzle.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I like puzzles but don't have the space to do them at the moment. That will change once I get my basement organized.

When I was growing up we did puzzles occasionally as a family. My mom would set up a card table in the living room and we would all work on a puzzle off and on as time permitted. The best (and hardest) puzzle I remember was one of a full-sized Monopoly board, with 5000 pieces. Doing the outside of the board with the landing spaces wasn't so bad, but filling in the middle, which was all the same color, was really challenging. It took us months to finish that one. The pieces were about the size of my (now adult) thumbnail. It was a pretty good sense of accomplishment when when we finished it, though.

My wife is a jigsaw puzzle fanatic! She hits up Fleet Farm after Christmas every year when they put all of their toys and puzzles on sale to clear them out. She buys a cart full of them. She is addicted to puzzles and sorts through them pretty much anywhere we go that sells them. She almost always ends up buying one or two. We went to the Amana Colonies to celebrate our anniversary last month and she found a shop with puzzles there and had to buy a couple. She won't touch one under 1,000 pieces. She says they are too easy.

I have had a number of puzzles made for her from photos of her with our grandson/photos of our grandson and even one of a photo of her Mom meeting Asaph (our grandson). That one is particularly special because her 98 year old mother took a turn for the worst that night and passed away a week later.

I built her a large, live edge puzzle table that holds even her largest puzzles. She spends time on them every evening (and maybe while I'm at work during the day, too). I am severely colorblind and find puzzles to be extremely frustrating because of that. I'm glad she likes them, though. It gives her something fun to do.
    Last edited by Scott Brader; 01-20-2022 at 3:53 PM.