Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jigsaw puzzles

Interesting. We talked about tackling some puzzles this winter. I can remember when I was a kid maybe 5 but no older having a puzzle laid out and we all worked on it. I still remember the basic scene. It was a view of a harvested corn field with hundreds of geese either already on the ground or landing. Funny the things we remember. Haven't tried working any puzzles for a long time though. When my father was at a care facility a few years ago they had a table set up and all those interested and able would spend time working them. Puzzles are a great way to pass time and they say help keep the mind functioning and sharp.

I love doing jigsaw puzzles, although I rarely do puzzles that are less than 1000 pieces unless they are unique in some fashion. At a previous job they would put out puzzles in the kitchen for people to work on as sort of a break time, and I ended up doing the majority of the work on those. The hardest ones I remember were of the Minions (from the movies), and one with nothing but zebras.

My in-laws gave me a few puzzles for Christmas, and each of them had a twist of some sort. Two of them were "murder mystery" puzzles where the clues are hidden in the puzzle, and therefore the finished picture is not provided (unless you open up the envelope with the answer). Those were only 500 pieces each and still fairly easy to complete, but unfortunately the "mystery" part was actually quite lame.

The puzzle below was of a geode, where most of the pieces were of a different style than usual.

geode1.jpg geode2.jpg

And the remaining puzzle was of a nebula, however it was an "infinite" puzzle and you could complete it in different ways. In the picture below you can see how that section on the top left can also be placed into the hole near the bottom right. Pretty cool.

nebula.jpg
    And there was trouble, taking place...

My neighbor showed us a link to a very challenging puzzle...
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/7918999...57149a1ec4c53b

All the pieces are clear.
    I do not do puzzles but found this one interesting.

I know a dog that likes to help with jigsaw puzzels, he likes to chew on pieces untill they're slobered and plyable enough to fit into any shape
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    My neighbor showed us a link to a very challenging puzzle...
    All the pieces are clear.
    I do not do puzzles but found this one interesting.
    What I like better are puzzles with all white pieces. I have several small ones made specifically for adding your own artwork or text with pens, markers, or watercolors.

Blog Entries
    I did a puzzle online for the first time. It took me 25 minutes, the average of 10 other people who did the same puzzle was 3-5 minutes😱
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    What I like better are puzzles with all white pieces. I have several small ones made specifically for adding your own artwork or text with pens, markers, or watercolors.
    I recall one from decades ago that was supposed to be the hardest puzzle in the world. The pieces were white on both sides, with double-stamping, so there was absolutely no way to tell which side was up for any given piece. No longer made AFAIK: it was stupidly expensive at the time, likely due to the double-stamp process.

(They still make single-color puzzles, but they're not double-sided. In fact, most of them have "clue" markings on the back side.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Here's a puzzle I just completed, 500 pieces, it took me a long time, as a lot of it was just plain black pieces.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dennis

My son is a puzzler. I was over the other day and he is working on a Where's Waldo puzzle. Very confusing but I did find quite a few pieces to install while there.

We do puzzles in the winter. One of my favorites is a where's Waldo another is an octagon one of formula 1 cars

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Here's a puzzle I just completed, 500 pieces, it took me a long time, as a lot of it was just plain black pieces.
    I'd love to do that one Dennis... is it one of the Lee Valley puzzles or from somewhere else?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    I'd love to do that one Dennis... is it one of the Lee Valley puzzles or from somewhere else?
    It’s from Lee Valley, as I said, it was pretty challenging for a new puzzler like me.
    Dennis