Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 3D Printer Suggestions

David that is interesting, thanks for posting.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    This is the FlashForge Creator 3. It has two separate extruders (print heads) that can be controlled independently. One spool of filament feeds each extruder.
    Understood, but I think Cary's machine has one extruder with two filament feeds and switches between them. The switch-over, especially if it happens every layer, is going to be a lot slower than your setup.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee it does not switch every layer, normally you print in just two colors. The one that David posted is a lot more money because it has to be large enough for two extruder heads. But instead of colors, you could print the supports out of water soluble filament and the rest out of water proof PETG or ABS that could be done with the Prusa I have.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Understood, but I think Cary's machine has one extruder with two filament feeds and switches between them. The switch-over, especially if it happens every layer, is going to be a lot slower than your setup.
    My machine has one extruder and a 5 filament "loader" named the MMU2. Depending on what you are printing you could be switching between all 5 filaments on every layer. As I said in a previous post that 4 color sheep that I printed took over 9 hours and would have probably only taken a couple of hours in a single color. The printer not only has to switch the color but it has to extrude a little bit of the previous color onto a waste block. It is probably a couple of minutes to switch filaments.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 02-24-2022 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    My machine has one extruder and a 5 filament "loader" named the MMU2. Depending on what you are printing you could be switching between all 5 filaments on every layer. As I said in a previous post that 4 color sheep that I printed took over 9 hours and would have probably only taken a couple of hours in a single color. The printer not only has to swprusa3d_fw_3_10_1_MK3S_1_0_6_MMU2Sithc the color but it has to extrude a little bit of the previous color onto a waste block. It is probably a couple of minutes to switch filaments.
    Urgh...that's even worse than I was envisioning.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post

Yes - you are correct. And also the problem of mixing the filaments in the extruder when changing from one filament feed to the other. This type of setup is more for those wishing to print an object with multiple colors where the filament switch does not occur that frequently and a little bit of filament mixing is not a problem.

But for printing water soluble supports or other more sophisticated applications the single extruder may present some real challenges and may not necessarily be the best way to go - in my opinion. But the printer that Cary has does sound interesting, and certainly has some more capabilities that my little MP Voxel printer.

David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 02-25-2022 at 1:33 AM.