Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printer Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Here's a test, manually resized to 80KB:
    Attachment 473368
    Note that it loaded into Paint (only thing I have on this laptop) vertically as shown.
    So I guess we still need to manually resize if we want them to display properly. Sheesh.
    The metadata is added to the file by the camera and perhaps by any processing step.

Typically an image processing program will change the metadata embedded in the file if you do ANY editing and resave it. (also called Exif data, BTW)
    Note that usually the simpler the program the more things it will do to the image without your knowledge. The more complex software will give you more control but at the cost of, well, complexity!
    Some programs will change the data if you simply resave without editing. You might try that with Paint if you find editing a burden.

You can edit the data without an image processing program with an online or stand alone Exif editor. There is a lot more than the image display orientation there.
    For example, this is fun: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...tadata_editors

Looking at at picture before and after you edited it with Paint:

Before:
    File size 62.4K
    Dimensions 1200x900
    Width 1200 pixels
    Height 900 pixels
    Resolution 96dpi

After:
    File size 87K
    Dimensions 600x800
    Width 600 pixels
    Height 800 pixels
    Resolution 144dpi

It looks like Paint changed the orientation, making the height the larger dimension.
    I don't have the original of course so I don't know what data the camera put there or what the SMC image uploader did to it when processing.

To look on the bright side, some things are SO much easier now than they were a couple of decades ago. Then it was the pixel aspect ratio and a few other things that caused splitting headaches to those of us working with pictures and video.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Looking at at picture before and after you edited it with Paint:

Before:
    File size 62.4K
    Dimensions 1200x900
    Width 1200 pixels
    Height 900 pixels
    Resolution 96dpi

After:
    File size 87K
    Dimensions 600x800
    Width 600 pixels
    Height 800 pixels
    Resolution 144dpi

It looks like Paint changed the orientation, making the height the larger dimension.
    I don't have the original of course so I don't know what data the camera put there or what the SMC image uploader did to it when processing.
    The original picture was significantly larger: it's 3120x4160, 3.4MB. That "before" (62.4K 1200x900) file is the output from the SMC image uploader, not the input. The "after" file is from Paint resizing the original, and height was always the larger dimension.

It appears the uploader doesn't alter the file unless required to get below its size limit...and then it does it wrong.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

It is a known issue & is explained in a thread in the Tech Support forum:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ideways-on-SMC

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McBreen View Post
    It is a known issue & is explained in a thread in the Tech Support forum:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ideways-on-SMC
    Thanks for the link, although I could have used it a couple days ago.

As noted in that thread, different phones (including different models of the same brand) have different concepts of where "up" is, at least for the camera. If portrait was the 'normal' orientation of my Samsung (like OP's Samsung in that thread), we might not be having this discussion.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Prusa..... MKS3. By far the BEST 3d printer on the market for the price. Order the kit and put it together in a day or so, take your time. Ignore any suggestions to do what I call changes that are out there on the internet. Just follow Prusa's instructions. Spend a bit of time getting the setting right, and then just Print. I've got a $150 Tevo that while it works, it is just a tinkering toy. I can turn on the Prusa, and just print.
    I do jigs, and I sell an item that has 4 parts to it that are 3d printed from PETG, I haven't sold a million, but almost 300 and all printed on the one Prusa printer. It just works.
    What John said... I purchased the factory built one because I want to print something, not spend time building and troubleshooting. But You can handle that kit without a issue. What he said again, it just works. Mine had set gathering dust for over 6 months, I designed and printed what I needed for a project, zero issues. Yes and use PETG no messing and it works. I buy filament from Amazon most of the time, Overture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill George; 02-16-2022 at 7:17 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have the Prusa MMU. I purchased it about 6 months ago. I needed an indoor project during the winter, and I like tech stuff. The Prusa MK3 is rock solid and I have used it about 1000x times more than I thought. The MMU seems a little finnicky. It might be my setup. I have only printed one multicolored print so far. It was a little sheep that I think had 4 colors. It was a little rough process with some feeding and unloading faults along the way. One thing that wasn't expecting was the increase in time to print multiple colors. I knew it would take longer but it was excessive. The sheep would have probably taken around 1hr to print in a single color but took 8 or 9 hours to print in multiple colors. It was fun to watch though. Most of my stuff I print is a single color so I have several filaments loaded and select the correct one in slicer. It is doing pretty well. Another consideration is that most files on the internet like Thingiverse are set up for single colors. You have to convert the files over to multicolor and I am still trying to find an easy and reliable software to do it. I have watched sever youtube videos on how it is done but they sure don't seem as easy as presented. It is probably me. I have a death trooper helmet that I want to print out in multicolor for my wife but I haven't got it converted yet. I have also added the Raspberry Pi to it and Octoprint is a great help at leveling the bed. All in all I have not regretted my purchase. The nice thing about Prusa is that future improvements will be upgradable.
    Did you get the new one MMU2? I have been thinking about buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Did you get the new one MMU2? I have been thinking about buying one.
    I have the MMU2S or what ever the current version is.

Ender 3 v2 hands down $ 270 and 40$ worth of add ons and you have a decent printer. Then if you are into it and want to get a better unit(prusa or whatever) it is always nice to have a second machine. I bought an ender 3 then ended up getting a second instead of going better because most of what i print is utilitarian, the end finish isnt important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have the MMU2S or what ever the current version is.
    So how does it do, issues?

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Ender 3 v2 hands down $ 270 and 40$ worth of add ons and you have a decent printer. Then if you are into it and want to get a better unit(prusa or whatever) it is always nice to have a second machine. I bought an ender 3 then ended up getting a second instead of going better because most of what i print is utilitarian, the end finish isnt important to me.
    Had a Makergear Mk2 like a fool I sold, new ones are close to $3000. Went with the Prusa factory build as I just wanted something to use not put together and troubleshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    … Went with the Prusa factory build as I just wanted something to use not put together and troubleshoot.
    Just a couple of data points about our experience with the Prusa kits. My oldest son and I independently purchased and assembled the Prusa kits at different times. Assembly and calibration took a couple of evenings. Everything worked the first time so there was no troubleshooting needed. Prusa’s step-by-step instructions are extremely good (and entertaining too.) We’ve put hundreds of hours into printing with them since.

I think anyone with reasonable manual dexterity, good eyesight, experience with mechanical things, and the patience to follow instructions to the letter should have no problem. The reason we both wanted to assemble the kits was it removes all mystery from the design - you come away with a good understanding of how everything fits and works together. This could be helpful if adding upgrades or if a repair is needed some day.

The kit version was a few hundred dollars cheaper but that wasn’t consideration for either of us.

BTW, we both also built protective enclosures to keep dust away and to reduce temperature variations. We both built plexiglas-sided enclosures based on the inexpensive Ikea Lack tables with 3d printed components. My son followed a design published by Prusa but I modified one of their designs with what I consider significant improvements.

(I think I mentioned some of this earlier, sorry for any repetition)

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 02-19-2022 at 9:58 PM.

I mostly print a single color. Printing in multicolor takes a ridiculous amount of time. I had it running pretty well until I started using some different filaments. I will say that it is a bigger pain experimenting with different filaments because you have 2 extruding gears you have to work around. I have torn the extruder apart several times trying to get the filament out because the MMU wont unload correctly and the filament gets stuck in the extruder. I am pretty sure it is a filament issue, but the MMU adds an additional aggravation I have to deal with.

I am using the FlashForge Creator 3 with dual independent extruders and have not had any problems loading/unloading filament. I suppose it depends on your particular setup and maybe the brand or type of filament being used. I don't print dual color, but use the second extruder for PVA for supports and rafts. The PVA is water soluble and will dissolve away after printing by soaking the part in water for a few hours.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    I am using the FlashForge Creator 3 with dual independent extruders and have not had any problems loading/unloading filament. I suppose it depends on your particular setup and maybe the brand or type of filament being used. I don't print dual color, but use the second extruder for PVA for supports and rafts. The PVA is water soluble and will dissolve away after printing by soaking the part in water for a few hours.
    David
    Difference between dual independent and 2-in/1-out extruder? (There's undoubtedly a more technical term for that style, damfino what it is...)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Difference between dual independent and 2-in/1-out extruder? (There's undoubtedly a more technical term for that style, damfino what it is...)
    This is the FlashForge Creator 3. It has two separate extruders (print heads) that can be controlled independently. One spool of filament feeds each extruder.
    There's no messing around here - it is all done automatically. It can be programmed to print a single part using two different colors, or print two parts at a time. Of course it is more pricey. I paid about $3300 several year ago for mine. But I also have its baby brother - the Monoprice MP Voxel - which is the one I recommended to you. I believe you said you purchased the FlashForge version. They are both identical except for the color scheme. I really like my Voxel with single extruder and it is my "go-to" printer for many of my prints.
    David
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-yOCjQ3QQ8
    FlashForge Creator 3 demo.jpg