Thread: Sacrificial Backup Material

Sacrificial Backup Material

When making crosscuts I sometimes use a sacrificial backup material, but I have no 'go to' material so it's always a little bit of a new process. Do you have a 'go to'?

I always plane off cuts to the closest 1/8 available and use these as backers. I also have used a hardboard insert in my crosscut fence and this worked well, is seems to work better than MDF for splinter reduction and longevity. The ZCI (also made of hardboard) covers underneath and I get no splintering there.

Informally, I'll use whatever scrap is immediately available. For a sacrificial backer that I attach to something, I typically use MDF as it's inexpensive and the surface is generally uber-consistent.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mdf since it’s flat and won’t mess up the 90* on the crosscut fence/sled. Or melamine or good plywood like Baltic birch, just not something like osb or big box ply.

MDF b/c it doesn't chip.

If I'm on the ball and I think of it, I will make a little extra stave core material when I'm machining it up for a door anyway. It's always very stable of course, doesn't seem to move then left on the fence.

B