Thread: Pay pal

Pay pal

Why does PayPal come up as the only way to pay online?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Brewer View Post
    There are a variety of ways to pay electronically, PayPal is one. It is, perhaps, the largest.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Brewer View Post
    If you are talking about becoming a contributor at SMC, Paypal is what SMC uses for payments. PayPal will accept both checks and credit cards or you may send a check to SawmillCreek Woodworker's Forums 8770 Little England Road Hayes, VA 23072
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank you Lee
    I will get it taken care of.

Mark

To clarify, PayPal is just the transaction processor...every business has to use one to take cards, etc. You do not need to be a member of PayPal, particularly for a CC transaction. If you prefer a check, just scroll down in the same screen and the address will be there to send the same in via the USPA.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, you really need to investigate and fully understand what PayPal is now doing before flippantly advising with incomplete facts.

You do not need to be a member of PayPal, particularly for a CC transaction
    But you will be, the minute you use it. You cannot touch it without them automatically generating an account now. Found out last month that this is their new policy, after receiving notice that my "monthly statement" is ready for viewing. Had to close another Paypal account, yet again. Lots of fun too, as you can't email, call, or access your "account" without a password. Since you did not wittingly sign up for their "service", you don't have a password. Took at least 15 minutes of endless FAQ pages and robot phone system that finally told me, after many minutes of trying to navigate, that their offices were closed. I could just scream.

What a truly nasty, grabby approach to business. To lock someone in, trap them with an almost impossible system to navigate, then plead with you to understand what you're missing when you go is the single most obnoxious "assumptive close" I've ever been subjected to.

ANY online business utilizing PayPal should be REQUIRED to notify you that, by using this service, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO OPENING AN ACCOUNT.

I too, will need to find another way to contribute here, as I will not be subjected to their strong arm tactics again.

In closing, I hereby submit my request for Sawmill Creek to seek another means of monetary transaction processing.

jeff

Well, Jeff, if they have changed their policies, I apologize for the incomplete facts. But I just checked the process and the "Guest Checkout" is still functional to just pay with a CC/DC. It does not require logging into a PayPal account although at the very bottom, it asks if you want to. I went all the way through to the point that one would "push the button" and make the purchase.
    --

I am sorry to have challenged your grasp of the facts.
    Still don't actually know PayPal's policy regarding automatic sign-on of non-account holders while completing a simple credit card transaction.

I share concern with what you mentioned, Jeff. Forcing an account for a simple CC/DC processing would not sit will with me. But I did go through all the steps from clicking on "Donate" above and then all the way through to the "push the button to pay" point and at no time did it require a logon or even an account. It did ask for PII that is necessary to authenticate with the CC/DC bank, such as name, address, phone number, etc. I did it in a separate browser window. If it wasn't such a pain to add screen scrapes to this old version of VBulletin, I would have included them. There was no language or indication that an account would be created and it was labeled as a "Guest" transaction.
    --

We have paypal accounts. It does seem like they've made some changes, probably security/fraud prevention related. I imagine they're one of the top targets of scamsters the world over.

In closing, I'll just say, I had just closed a PayPal account in October, and am very vigilant about who and how I pay. That retailer was forcing me to buy one type of item with PayPal (mp3 content), while they held remainder of order (actual CD to be shipped) to be processed without Paypal requirement. I deleted PayPal required item, and checked out through what I detected was a secure server with no affiliation with PayPal.
    Finally got through to CS at PayPal, to simply ask how my account was generated. They say I did it, and must have been by accident.
    Right.