Thread: Several Projects done

Several Projects done

I figured I's post a few things that I finished up recently. Apologies if the pictures don't work correctly!

First up, after finishing my roubo bench, the plastic shelves and tubs that held my saws and planes just made me sad. So I built a tool cabinet with mostly leftovers, though I did need to buy some plywood for the shelves and part of the case. Plenty of mistakes, which means plenty of learning! You wouldn't believe how long it took me to do the mitered bridle joints for the door frames. I think next time I'll stick to mortise and haunched tenons.
    IMG_2284.jpg
    There are panels that swing out to give more space to mount stuff:
    IMG_2286.jpg
    After how long that took, I looked on fine woodworking's site for a quicker hand tool project. I saw this bench, and thought it'd be fun. Wedged through mortises, dadoes, and these mortised corner braces:
    IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg
    Now I'm almost ready to work on my kitchen bar stool chairs, which for some reason I've been dreading. Tapering legs seems to be harder than anything else for me, now that I'm trying to avoid power outside of milling!

Love the bench! I did a smaller version of the same project a couple three years ago. The spalted maple is nice. Great minds think alike

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Now that is a tool cabinet! A huge improvement over plastic bins. Is this your own design? What are the dimensions? Did you use plexiglass? i like the hinged panels, though I would want my chisels up front. I’d probably make the marking and measuring panel denser so I could squeeze in my chisels. Still though, you have a fine tool cabinet there. Nice job and congratulations.

Thanks! If I remember correctly, the cabinet itself is about 88” wide, 33” tall and 14” deep. I did want the chisels in a front section, but the right side is very mildly inconvenient to get at, and I feel I use marking and measuring stuff more frequently. Also I wanted to leave as much room as possible for the inevitable redesign. And yes it’s plexiglass to keep the doors from being too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Walton View Post
    Now I'm almost ready to work on my kitchen bar stool chairs, which for some reason I've been dreading. Tapering legs seems to be harder than anything else for me, now that I'm trying to avoid power outside of milling!
    Tapering legs is a great excuse for sharpening up your planes.

While these don't have tapered legs they are nice stools. The legs are 1" x 7/8" oak. The tops are 1" Sugar Pine. Very light and sturdy. And good places to tuck you'd feet up off the floor. Rubber feet from McMaster Carr.

Stool.jpg Stool underside.jpg

Well the pics are sideways, upside down is normal for me
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 01-27-2022 at 6:57 AM.