Thread: Face shield static electricity

Face shield static electricity

I wear a cheap face shield when turning banjo rims, to keep from getting shavings in my eyes. It's not heavy enough to protect me from heavy chunks, but the rims are segmented turnings with staggered layers and I've never had one come apart, from the 300-400 I've turned. My problem is that in the winter when the humidity is low I seem to be getting static electricity on the shavings or the shield or both, so the shavings cling to the outside of the plastic. This rapidly makes me unable to see, so I have to stop turning and brush the shavings off and then start working again. Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening?

I've not tried this but I've heard that wiping the face shield with a fabric softener or static cling sheet works. Rickler has a tip on this -

https://www.rockler.com/how-to/rid-s...ry-room-staple
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I've not tried this but I've heard that wiping the face shield with a fabric softener or static cling sheet works. Rickler has a tip on this -

https://www.rockler.com/how-to/rid-s...ry-room-staple
    It should be a used sheet. Else it might leave a film. I've tried it. Maybe it makes a difference.

Used dryer sheet. I also use Rainex wipes.

Thank you all for the advice. I don't have a dryer but I'll see if I can bum a used dryer sheet from someone who does, or I'll look for Rain-X wipes when I am in town.

I keep a can of Static Guard spray by my lathe. I'll spray the outside of my face shield and wipe it gently with a microfiber cloth. It'll last through a day of turning.

I have to add humidity to the shop. If not shavings and dust will cling to not only my face shield but my clothing, tool rest etc. Not to mention the static shocks I get once in awhile.