Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mothballing a shop

Blog Entries
    Buy a can of Boeshield for long term storage of bare metal. It works great.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I’m a big fan of Boeshield. Thx!

When thinking about the tools in my shop. I got most of them on sale new or used at a great deal (plus some sweat equity). I have few duplicates (I think the only dupes are a pair of quarter sheet sanders and a pair of ROS). The concept of including the storage price as part of the replacement cost is spot on. I will never find them again for that price, especially including rental fees to store them. At the same time there are probably a few that I could (would) part with now, to buy an upgrade in the future.

Using a storage unit as an example, there are multiple sizes. The larger the unit the more the cost. So it would be best to use the smallest unit possible and fill it to the brim. If it were me, I would start my placing the tools I would not sell in first. If that fills a 5x5, then move to a 5x10. At the same time working from the must-keep tools to the could-part-with tools. Once the tools are in, fill the remaining space with lumber, again starting with the must-keep probably-could-not-find-again (like a piece of table flat black walnut 16"x 50"x 6/4 with great figure) and work down the everyone-has-it-on-the-shelf lumber. Once it is full then the rest gets sold.

More good advice, thx! I’ve got til April 1 to figure it out. Now I’m leaning toward keeping my 2 bandsaws, selling all other big tools, and boxing everything else up. I can store it in the basement of the new house.

I’ll have trouble parting with 80 percent of the lumber. I have tons of wide cherry and walnut, all kinds of other stuff like butternut and apple slabs, figured maple, 20 inch wide silver maple, Kentucky coffee, on and on.

I bought a StorageLogic 10x10 tent structure and built a 10x10 platform to put it on to store my lumber here at the new property until I can get a shop building up. It's worked out well. Yes, not "conditioned" but the stuff wasn't in conditioned space at the old shop, either. Only the actual shop had HVAC. So perhaps you can consider something like that at your new property to avoid having to unload a lot of your material. But if you do, there are likely 'Creekers who will gladly pay you decent money for really good stock.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...