Thread: Who makes this Ceramic Stone 60M2102 (4x2x1/2) 8K

Who makes this Ceramic Stone 60M2102 (4x2x1/2) 8K

Some years ago, I purchased a Ceramic stone listed as:

60M2102
    8000X White Ceramic
    MADE IN USA

There is also an 800 grit brown stone.

My use has been to keep carving tools sharp and I can use the stone dry. The stone was recommended at WoodCraft where I took a chip carving class and I see that LeeValley sells both of these stones for $32.90.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...rpening-stones

I inventory all of my stones, and I am curious who made this particular stone. Any idea on who may have made it? I have a "stone inventory" and I list the maker when I can, but this stone, I have no idea.

By the way, if you are looking for a nice stone for something like this, I have been very happy with mine.

Could be a Norton. But the ceramic stones all look the same to me. Ask Lee Valley customer service, they might tell you.
    Last edited by john jesseph; 01-18-2022 at 2:13 PM. Reason: Clarification

Andew, I believe those are Spyderco ceramic stones. Someone has simply cut the stone in half lengthwise to sell for more money. That said, they are nice stones for carving since they are so hard and don’t gouge.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    Andew, I believe those are Spyderco ceramic stones. Someone has simply cut the stone in half lengthwise to sell for more money. That said, they are nice stones for carving since they are so hard and don’t gouge.

Kevin
    I dropped a note to Lee Valley, will see what they say.

I assume that you are correct, and I was wondering the same. Given the time frame of when I purchased the stone, the only company that had a similar stone is Spyderco. The colors even match. My notes on grit sizes place the Medium grit as about 15 microns and I place 800 grit at about 13 microns so ball park correct. I also show the U-Fine at about 3 micron, the same as a Norton 8000 stone depending on the chart I see (I think 8000 grit is closer to 1 micron or less).

That said, my notes also state:

The aluminum oxide used in Spyderco's ceramics is of the same fixed grit size, even across all of their ceramic 'grit' specs. Their finishing process is what makes the 'effective grit' different for each.
    I should probably document where I find these things, no idea if it is true.

Long way of saying, I think that you are probably correct.

And Lee Valley has replied:

Unfortunately I don't have anything available that tells me anything other than it comes from the US. In any event, we do not reveal the names of our suppliers unless otherwise indicated by the product name or packaging.
    So even if they did know, they probably would not tell me. I only know it is the same item I have based on the part number and labeling.... and packaging.... Great little stone. You should pop on over the Lee Valley and get one if you need this size. I prefer the 2" wide stone to the standard 1" wide stones for chip carving knives. The Norton stones are guaranteed flat though, and they claim that their Ultra Fine stone is finer than their 8K water stone. Not sure it matters. The Norton stones come in 4x1, 6x2, 8x2, and 8x3; no 4x2 availalbe unless you want to cut down an 8x2.

If they are Spyderco - and they are the same colours - the size and grits are wrong.

The size of the Spyderco is either 6 x 2", or 8 x 3". The Medium is around 2000-3000 grit, and the Ultra Fine is around 8000 - 10000 grit. Even Spyderco will not provide grit information.

Regards from Perth

Derek

My notes have a very wide range on what they think the grit pattern is for all those it's a little infuriating not sure how much it really matters.

My notes also state that they use the same abrasive size for all of their stones but the differences are from the binder. Sounds a little crazy to me.

I had hoped to find something based on the part number, but nothing. In the grand scheme of things, I suppose it doesn't really matter. What really matters is that it doesn't do some job on my chip carving knife. But that part of me that likes to be super organized wants to have the proper manufacturer name in my database for I store a list of my sharpening stones. Yeah, I have enough stones I need to do that so I can drag them.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    If they are Spyderco - and they are the same colours - the size and grits are wrong.

The size of the Spyderco is either 6 x 2", or 8 x 3". The Medium is around 2000-3000 grit, and the Ultra Fine is around 8000 - 10000 grit. Even Spyderco will not provide grit information.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek, for what it’s worth, my Spyderco are 8”x2”x1/2” thick. I keep the medium and ultra fine in my traveling tool box as they are nice stones for that purpose, along with a combo diamond stone for rougher work. Nice stones for certain work. The ultra fine leaves an unbelievable polish and sharp edge.

Thanks.
    Kevin

I believe Idahone sells stones that look identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    Derek, for what it’s worth, my Spyderco are 8”x2”x1/2” thick. I keep the medium and ultra fine in my traveling tool box as they are nice stones for that purpose, along with a combo diamond stone for rougher work. Nice stones for certain work. The ultra fine leaves an unbelievable polish and sharp edge.

Thanks.
    Kevin
    Kevin, you are correct - my memory is at fault. I think I remembered 6” as the length as the stones are narrower than preferred, being 2” rather than 3”. The 2” width is not a game changer for me as I freehand and side-sharpen much of the time. However, this would be limiting factor for those that want to hone plane blade with a guide.

Spyderco do make a 3” wide stone, in Ultra Fine, however they do not make others. Plus it does not come in a hard case, as the others do. The case is handy for protection. The M and UF stones, along with a very worn 600 grit Ezi-lap 6x2, form my travel kit.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The M and UF stones, along with a very worn 600 grit Ezi-lap 6x2, form my travel kit.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek, now I remember that I got the idea to use the Spyderco in my traveling kit from you. You are correct that the plastic cases help protect the stones and also make handy holders. The stones require little to no maintenance if they are flat and I keep a small bottle mix of water with simple green as a fluid for use. The stones stay clean of swarth and give a fast polish.

Thanks as always for your advice.

Kevin