Thread: Plumbing advise - platform tub connection on a slab

Plumbing advise - platform tub connection on a slab

i know alot of you guys have skills outside of WW so i figured i'd ask.

i'd like some advise on how to make this connection and i also realize that i may need to undo what i've done. Platform tub on slab. 2" roughed in drain line. I went ahead and connected the overflow and drain as a unit...to the tub but it's unclear to me (a) if the order is right...should i have not done this yet and (b) how to make this connection. i'm sure i'm going to need to raise the platform some -- what you see right now is the tub sitting flush on the deck before durock/tile so without me raising the deck the unit will rise about 3/4" but i think i'll need to add another 1.5" to have some working room.

i figured i'd use a 2" street 90 adn then ??maybe?? some flexible 1.5" PVC to connect this but advice sure is welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob C

you need a trap in there too

Are you installing a P-Trap?
    Regards,

Kris

Where is the drain line? The trap needs do be down in the slab, or you're going to have to raise the tub too high. I like to make the bottom of a tub level with the floor in the bathroom, but without planning that to start with, there would be a lot of demo involved.

i'm *assuming* the trap is in the slab since the original plumber put all the other tub traps below the subfloor. So for now assume that's the case but i can verify tonight. Tom you can see the drain line in that picture...it's partially embedded in the wall so i'm going to need to cut some of the out around it.
    Bob C

Blog Entries
    There should be a great big hole in the slab under the tub drain. that's where you have the trap & connection. You need to bust up that slab a bit.

A tub drain should be in the floor, not in the wall. There is no good way to attach a tub to anything but a trap with the entrance straight down in the floor. The trap should already be in the floor, or at least a large enough hole to attach the trap to the drain line.

edited to add: I see a line stubbed off over to the other side, but that's not going to work. You're going to have to cut that slab under where the tub goes. You might be able to double el it, if there is a trap under that drop, but that's not any way I've ever hooked up a tub. I wouldn't put a flexible line in there.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-18-2022 at 12:08 PM.

Tom...i'll raise hte tub platform up but yes there's a 2" stub coming out of the floor so i'll need to see how low i can get a san tee drain portion to that slab as i'll need a 2 to 1.5" coupling in there. If too high then yea i'll need to chip away around that 2" pipe. Tonight i'll open that pipe up, pour in some water and verify there's a trap first
    Bob C

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    Tom...i'll raise hte tub platform up but yes there's a 2" stub coming out of the floor so i'll need to see how low i can get a san tee drain portion to that slab as i'll need a 2 to 1.5" coupling in there. If too high then yea i'll need to chip away around that 2" pipe. Tonight i'll open that pipe up, pour in some water and verify there's a trap first
    Have you confirmed that there is a trap under the slab?