Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats your dye of choice?

Whats your dye of choice?

I have pretty limited experience with dye. I used transtint mixed with water on a maple table a few years ago is my only experience (and it was good).

So I plan on stocking up on some different colors, I see most are $20ish per bottle or pint. I found general dye by the pint, transtint, homestead, mixol. What is the best bang for the buck or you guys that use dye alot I'm all ears.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I use Transtint. I got two or three colors a few years ago. I remember it was kind of pricy. I saw some at my local woodworking store a month ago and they were stupid expensive. Over $20 for a 2 oz. bottle. To be fair (not that I want to) one bottle of concentrate will make enough dye to stain lots of wood.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I must have at least 15 different bottles of Transtint. That should tell you how much I like the stuff. I use it as water based or DNA based dye and add it to shellac and WB topcoats to make toners. I've even added it to some solvent based dye stains by first diluting it in lacquer thinner. It's incredibly versatile.

John

I use both Transtint with water and Angelus leather dye (alcohol solvent).
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use TransTint dissolved in alcohol. Not sure I've ever actually emptied a bottle, but then i really try to avoid coloring wood.

Mixol is not a dye. It is a universal colorant. Universal colorants are the goop used at your local housepaint store to color paints.

I’ve used both TransTint and TransFast (powder). Both work well. I think I prefer the TransTint only because it is easier to measure drops for a consistent mix, versus measuring powder. But if you mix up enough for the entire project it doesn’t really matter…both are good.

For primary colors or black, transtint.

For color matching wood tones I like wd Lockwood. More work to mix and blend but gets me closer.

Blog Entries
    Transtint here. You can greatly expand a few colors by also stocking strong colors to alter things like Reddish Brown or Dark Vintage Maple. I keep Lemon Yellow, Orange, Blue, and Black on hand. I will mix with distilled water or alcohol depending on what I am doing. I can say that keeping accurate records as you mix is critical to being able to reproduce colors later. I keep mixes in small mason jars and write the formula right on the lid.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use TransTint. Have about 20 bottles, and make samples of wood pieces with various combinations before tinting a project. Per the suggestion on their site, I use a 50/50 mix of denatured alcohol/lacquer thinner which makes a very good NGR (non-grain-raising) dye.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I use Transtint as well. My understanding, confirmed by others here, is that using it in water is more fade resistant than alcohol. I've also heard RIT fabric dye will work less expensively, but of course, a whole other range of color issues.
    < insert spurious quote here >

TransTint and TransFast. TransFast is a bit more fad resistant.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Point #1 - another thumbs up for Trans-Tints.
    Point #2:
    My understanding, confirmed by others here, is that using it in water is more fade resistant than alcohol
    Do what? As Scott indicated and I've read numerous times, TransFast powdered dyes, (mixed with water) are slightly more fade resistant, but have serious doubts mixing trans-tint with water vs. solvents could make a difference in fade rate. When it's in the wood and dry, the carrier is gone, unless some feel the H2O causes deeper penetration = more stability of the color?
    Confused.

jeff

I agree with you Jeff.

Transtint in water or alcohol will not affect its fade resistance - only its grain raising tendency.

TransFAST is supposed to be more fade resistant than TransTINT. I may be doing it wrong, but I can’t get this powder to dissolve evenly into alcohol. It seems only to dissolve in water anyway.

Thanks for the help, I have a few bottles of transtint that just showed up yesterday. I do have another question. My original bottle is probably 8 years old and has completely dried up, is there a way to prevent this or is 8 years a good life expectancy?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.