Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockler Quick Connects

Blog Entries

Rockler Quick Connects

I have several of these hooked up to various tools, however I wouldn't necessarily say they are quick. Mine seem to "stick" to the adapter and I have to really wiggle them to disconnect. Anyone with ideas to make the disconnection more smooth? Was thinking of spraying with silicone coating.
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Blog Entries
    Dry silicone lube can work miracles, but you gotta watch it in a wood shop. The most minute traces of it can spread & if any gets on a surface that is to have a finish applied, there will be problems. Take it off into a far corner of the shop, or better yet, outside the shop and spray it on the mating surfaces of the fittings. After is dries for a few minutes, wipe off any excess. Be really careful to not get it on any of the adjacent surfaces of the fittings. I'd even go so far as to quickly mask off the fittings before application. Just because I sound paranoid doesn't mean the danger is not real.

Mine don't stick too badly, but I do wipe them down with Johnson's paste wax every now and then. Talc might also work. I have some. Maybe I'll give it try and report back.

I was just about to order a couple of those Dust Right Quik Connects.

Is there a better option out there?

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    I have several of these hooked up to various tools, however I wouldn't necessarily say they are quick. Mine seem to "stick" to the adapter and I have to really wiggle them to disconnect. Anyone with ideas to make the disconnection more smooth? Was thinking of spraying with silicone coating.
    Hi Tim, I believe there is tapering, so the tighter you plug it in, the harder to get apart. I connect them loosely and let the suction pull closed if needed. That ensures they are easy to get apart when I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I was just about to order a couple of those Dust Right Quik Connects.

Is there a better option out there?
    it's not quite the same thing (as there aren't as many options I don't think), but the Magports have been simply excellent for me:

https://magport.net/

I had the Rockler Dust Right connectors/ports on all my machines.

Switched them out for Magports (buy once, cry once), but I absolutely love these things, especially if you are switching between machines a lot. I have 7+ machines that I operate from two flex drops.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I had the Rockler Dust Right connectors/ports on all my machines.

Switched them out for Magports (buy once, cry once), but I absolutely love these things, especially if you are switching between machines a lot. I have 7+ machines that I operate from two flex drops.
    Pretty cool!

Blog Entries
    I've always used plain old tapered connectors. Here's one on my drum sander . . .

DC-QR (1).jpg . DC-QR (2).jpg

They have worked for me for many years. I did roughen up the interior of the one I use for the edge sander using my spindle sander to give it a little better grip due to the angle. Inexpensive and reliable in my experience. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    But not easily moved from machine to machine

I have two ports that service all my machines. I'm using the Dust Right quick connect handle thing. They work great for me. I only needed 3 adapters for 7 machines. The rest work right of the existing ports, a couple needed a few wraps of electrical tape to make them tight. Only the connection to my Big Gulp hood sticks. But that's because I push tn on hard, wanting it to stick, because I move the port around a lot pulling on the stand without supporting the hose during use at the lathe. When I outfit my new shop in a couple of years, I'll likely stay with the Dust Right for the one planned "roving" hose port that'll be close to the lathe. Though I will add the swivel connector they sell.

Those magnet things look nice, and the price reflects it. All I've read says the work well. What I don't like about them is no handle. The Dust Right handle makes it easy to grab and move about. It also works great on a floor wand attachment I use to vacuum the floor (especially around the lathe).

I picked up some of the Fazlok fittings from Woodworkers Supply, https://woodworker.com/fazlok-4-quic...su-960-805.asp

They are tapered fittings, but also have a positive lock on them to prevent them from inadvertantly separating. I've never had an issue with getting them apart as long as you're able to turn them to release the positive lock. They don't work too well if you're trying to use them to connect two lengths of hose together because you kind of need to two hands on the fitting to turn it. But with the fitting secured to your equipment, the other connector, attached to your hose, isn't that bad to turn and release.

I've been happy with them and wouldn't hesitate to buy more.

Clint

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tim walker;[URL="tel:3171072"
    3171072[/URL]]But not easily moved from machine to machine
    ??? They just slip off of one and onto the other
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There are two styles. There are a fittings with a straight edge and one with a tapered edge. I used the quick disconnect gates https://www.woodcraft.com/products/q...-abs-blastgate with the quick disconnect fittings https://www.woodcraft.com/products/4...ection-fitting. Ironically, the quick disconnect blast gates have a stick on one side that says "Quick Disconnect" (not shown on web site and/or they longer have the stick). The quick disconnect fitting does not fit on to the side of the gate with the quick disconnect sticker. The fittings mates with the opposite side. The side with the sticker fits onto a fitting (Y, T, elbow, or coupling) but won't fit onto a hose.

I think the fazlok fittings are a nice idea. They appear to be made of acrylic plastic which I would not like (too breakable), but the idea is sound. I am working on figuring out how to transfer the idea to 6" S&D pipe and fittings.