Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retractable Extension Cords

I just use a cord hook and unwind what is needed. Slightly more trouble but safe, reliable and inexpensive.

NW.jpg

You can see it in the upper right of this pic
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 01-20-2022 at 8:06 AM.

I second the Bayco model Josh mentioned above. Bayco customer service was great. I ran over the plastic cord stop and called to order another. They don’t sell them the but customer service rep sent one off a returned unit. It took her a few weeks to get one but called three times with updates. The part was free and they covered shipping. I was impressed.

I wouldn't any more length than you need. Long wire length combined with a smaller AWG and high current load are your enemies. I have also seen a regular cord supported at the ceiling and a weighted string via pulley to hold the cord above head height when not in use.

Blog Entries
    I have run a couple of 12ga for 15 years or more. Believe it or not they are Harbor Freight and still work fine. They were on sale for $39 when I bought them. Expecting them to eventually fail I bought a Rockler version on sale for $79 recently. It has not gone into use but, appears more heavy duty as far as case thickness and hardware behavior. There is a really wide price and quality range on these. You need to determine where your requirements and the cost/quality curves cross for you. I never expected the HF ones to last more than few years but, they refuse to die. Always use good extension cord practices with reels (and other cords).

None of this (not mine) . . .

Extension Cord Fire-2.JPG . Extension Cord Fire.JPG

Always run the proper gauge for your requirement and do not load the cord while confined.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

^^ This is why I personally will do something different for any over-bench power I decide to use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have some of those exact cord reels & they're great. In fact, it's so easy to wind/unwind the cord that there's no excuse to use them with the cord still wound up.

I have three (without brand names on them) that I got free from a local high school's woodworking shop when they stopped offering it to students. They are square with aluminum housing with heavy duty contacts inside. I've been using them for decades now without problems. If you are going to buy one get a premium brand (not some off beat Amazon "made in China" brand). They are expensive but are really nice.

5 or so years ago I set up in our parts crib at work Bayco LED drop lights. It was the brightest one I could find. We now have dozens around the fab in use and they work very well. Not a single one has failed. Occasionally the magnetic hook gets lost but the ratcheting mechanism work just fine.
    Last edited by Alex Zeller; 01-20-2022 at 6:02 PM.

If someone had lots of coin to spend, a Appleton Reelite is really nice, but unless you find one surplus the prices are not for the faint of heart.

I have several here on the farm; all are 12 gauge.

Two are 12 year old Grizzly’s with no problems. The one that I’m most pleased with is the Reelworks model that is a 50 footer.