Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little drill press maintenance

A little drill press maintenance

Did a little drill press maintenance.

Secured the rack, it was shifting as the table was raised and lowered. Also cleaned and lubed it.

Moves so much easier now.

C5B72A39-47B1-488D-9860-537DBE25EB86.jpeg41F17C53-F276-4893-9BC3-4920C150DB4A.jpeg

Did you rivet the rack to the column? Doesn't that prevent you from swiveling the table to the side?

Did you put grease on the gear? If so will that collect dust and chips? What lube would be better?

Blog Entries
    Tom is right. The table no longer has the ability to swivel. Any lube that is oily or greasy will attract dust. My advice? Drill out those rivet and give the column a good cleaning & buffing to remove all rust and roughness. Then give it and the rack a coating of wax or other suitable dry lube. None of the surfaces involved there are subject to high pressure wear that would require a grease for lubrication.

An example of when you'd want to swivel the table is when there is a need to drill an accurate hole in the end of a board. The table is rotated vertically, swiveled a bit to the side & the board clamped to it. When swiveling, you just need to use care to ensure that the rack doesn't get bent.

I like the idea of preventing the table from pivoting. It eliminate the need for checking you won't drill into iron (or forgetting!) every time you adjust the height. You have me thinking about doing something similar, maybe, getting the best of both worlds by using a pin, instead of a rivet.

Hi
    Thanks for the comments.
    The rack is now plum and true to the column, just that made a huge difference in the raising and lowering of the table.
    Just a few dabs of white lithium grease on the rack. Just enough to smooth the movement.
    As for the table, it still is able to rotate to various degrees needed and still allows for longer drilling depths as needed.

It is now extremely stable, easy to adjust, any degree needed.

Thanks again for the comments, always learning…

Mark

Definitely cleaning and lubing the rack can make a big difference!

The rivets, however, are going to keep the rack from moving. While not obvious, the rack is intended to move around the circumference of the post as you shift the entire table assembly left/right. For instance, if you wanted to drill into the end of a long post, you might want to swing the entire table out of the way, which you now can't do. It's possible your rack wasn't moving very smoothly, which might be fixable by adjusting the amount of pressure that top ring is putting on it.

While I do not disagree with what you are saying.
    I want the rack plum and true to the column. The table can be removed or pivoted out of the way in a couple of minutes.
    So when the table is re-installed, it’s 90 degrees to the column and chuck, with a quick check with my Starrett square.

I'm not trying to insult you or anything, but I am curious why you want to secure the rack to the column and get the table plumb and true to the column. Granted I seldomly do it, but I do rotate the table once or twice a decade. I guess I can't see the importance of being exactly plumb. They made the table swivel around for a reason.

I use white lithium grease too. I don't think it attracts dirt and grime. I use it on my car door hinges, if dirt don't collect dirt/trash there it won't in a nice clean shop..... Cough

I swivel my drill press table about half the time, as I often need drill into the face of a piece of wood that bends down, when making necks, so I need to have the drill bit about 1" from the edge of the table. My current drill press doesn't have a rack at all, the table just goes wherever I put it instantly. The one I used to use had a rack, and I liked that it moved around the column, but for some uses that would not be necessary.

Just a side note...... I lube the column on my radial saw and drill press with this Dri-Slide that goes on wet and quickly dries and does a great job of keeping everything sliding smoothly without attracting any dust. I've had it for years and think I got it at a Chrysler dealer but not sure. If it is no ;longer around there is probably something like it now.

PXL_20220113_214809734.jpg

Hi
    No offense taken at all. I guess it comes from my background, I want the holes drilled at 90 degrees and true to the piece I am putting the holes in. I rarely move the table off of 90 degrees to the chuck.
    Like wanting the blade on the table saw to be at 90 degrees for a straight cut.
    To me being exact is just as easy than being off a bit….

Thanks for the info on the Dri- Slide.

Drilling the hole at 90 degrees to the workpiece is not related to the rack and pinion at all. Tilting the table is one thing, and it sounds like you can still do that if you should want to. Swiveling the table is only useful if you want to drill somewhere other than in the center of the table (as I often do) or to get the table entirely out of the way to drill something tall, which I have done a few times.

I guess I am with Mark on this one. I never move the table side to side, and it would not bother me if it didn't. Besides, it looks pretty easy to revert if needed.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I swivel the table drilling the left/right ends of a heavy item I want centered on the table for stability or odd shaped things.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    Drilling the hole at 90 degrees to the workpiece is not related to the rack and pinion at all. Tilting the table is one thing, and it sounds like you can still do that if you should want to. Swiveling the table is only useful if you want to drill somewhere other than in the center of the table (as I often do) or to get the table entirely out of the way to drill something tall, which I have done a few times.

This is what I mean. On my Delta, it has a pin to lock the table at 90. But it's not exactly 90. So I tossed the lock pin out. Tightened the bolt good. I don't move that anymore.